130. Collapsed

THE SUN CRAWLED across the vivid cerulean sky as morning shifted to afternoon

THE SUN CRAWLED across the vivid cerulean sky as morning shifted to afternoon. As time slowly stretched onward, Ravenna's stomach began to twist and churn into tight little knots. She found it impossible to relax.

The moment that Eoin had departed the bedroom, Alyss and Miera pounced. Both had rushed to prepare her for the execution, as if their own lives had depended on it. Ravenna had been forced into a somewhat cold bath and then dressed in a thick, heavy gown — which included an awful device that Miera called a 'corset'. The device clenched tight around Ravenna's stomach, pressing hard against the thin muscle and bone that tried to shield her inner organs. It tied at the center of her back, just the right height that made it hard for Ravenna to reach and adjust herself. The dress itself was colored a deep shade of emerald green and it shimmered in the sunlight, almost as if it were inlaid with thousands of tiny jewels. Her long hair had been pinned back, away from her face, with a matching green ribbon. A small tiara sat atop her head. It featured delicate floral scrolls and a mixture of diamond and emerald collets, all set within glistening silver.

Once Ravenna had been deemed presentable, she had been left alone in her own bedroom. She busied herself with Caelan's spellbook. It had been a while since she had delved deep into the ancient pages. His messy scribbles and little notes brought a semblance of a smile to her face. His familiar handwriting tamed the seed of anxiety that had sprouted within her.

She knew that she needed to prepare herself mentally for the execution.

Ravenna was no stranger to death. So many humans had died around her, both from her own hands and other's. The idea of Vyses and Lyth being executed made her stomach hurt though. It didn't sit well with her at all. She knew that she needed to save them — to do something to stop the execution. Vyses had done so much for her. From the moment that she'd first met him, he had done nothing but try to help her and protect her.

She just didn't know what she could do.

Truthfully speaking, there was not much that could actually be done to stop the execution. Not without revealing her relationship with them. If she wasn't careful, she could easily wind up at the executioner's block beside them.

She had hoped that her actions with the blood-doll would have done something by now to prevent the execution from taking place. However, as time continued to stretch on, her hope dwindled and started to die out. The only solace that she was able to take comfort in was the fact that no one had come to fetch her yet. The longer it took someone to come collect her only pushed the time of the execution back. It couldn't start without the royal family present.

Ravenna read each page of the spellbook carefully, trying hard to keep her mind focused on the words in front of her. She didn't want to think about what would happen.

Her bedroom door rattled and then Eoin barged into the room. Ravenna slowly closed Caelan's spellbook and set it down beside her. Her heart raced. This was it — this is what she had been waiting for. Someone had finally come to whisk her away to watch her friends die.

Then she noticed Eoin's face. His expression was wild.

"What is it?" she asked. "Is it time for the execution?"

He didn't seem able to answer at first. He lifted a hand to his hair, his fingers curling around strands of chestnut. He shook his head slightly. "The execution has been postponed," he revealed with a wince.

It took all of Ravenna's strength not to smile. "Oh really?"

"My father," Eoin started to say. His expression twisted with pain. His voice cracked. "He is really sick."

"Oh no," Ravenna said. Her voice dripped with false concern. She rose to her feet and moved closer to Eoin. "Is he alright?" she asked him. "Has the royal medic examined him yet?"

The sheer agony that dulled his irises made her breath catch at the back of her throat. An ice cold wave of guilt washed through her, chilling her to the core. Her lips pressed into a wrinkled line as a sheen of glass-like water coated his eyes, tears brimming at the corners. He squeezed his eyes shut and leaned forward so that his forehead pressed against hers. His arms wrapped around her torso, hugging her close.

"Eoin?" she whispered.

He did not respond for a moment. His eyes remained shut but his grip on her tightened.

"What happened?" she pressed on. She did her best to keep any excitement out of her voice. It was harder than she expected. Eoin's level of emotion could only mean that something was drastically wrong with his father — which meant that squeezing the blood-doll had actually worked.

"I do not know," Eoin answered. He leaned back, his gaze piercing through her. His voice was small, distant. "The whole castle had been preparing for the execution and Father was supposed to be developing a speech. Something small, but enough to comfort our people and show them that we don't intend to allow this type of treachery to happen again. I knew he wasn't feeling well last night but..."

The tears that brimmed at the corners of his eyes spilled over. Ravenna's hands reached up and gently cupped his face. She wiped away his tears.

He seemed to crumple in her hands.

"He collapsed. I do not know why. No one does. He had seemed fine earlier. The medic is examining him now. I need to go see him but I don't think that I can yet," he said.

"Why not?"

"I knew that I needed to calm down. I needed to see you. You help me feel better," he breathed. "I need to be strong for my kingdom."

Ravenna frowned. "Eoin. It is okay for you to have emotions — this is your father that we are talking about. Your own flesh and blood. Even if you weren't related, it would still be okay for you to feel upset and express it. You are only human."

A shrill little laugh escaped his lips. "That may be true for a woman," he remarked and kissed her forehead. "As the crown prince, I have to remain the strong, collected image of a powerful leader. I can't succumb to my own emotions."

Her jaw clenched and she lowered her hands to rest atop his chest. She did not bother to respond.

Eoin closed his eyes for a moment and sucked in a deep breath. "Thank you," he whispered to her. "I feel much better now."

"Are you ready to go see your father now?" she asked him.

He nodded. He released her and stepped back. He politely extended an arm to her. "Are you willing to accompany me? I am not sure that I am ready to do this alone."

"Of course," she said. She took his arm and allowed him to guide her from the room. She definitely wasn't about to miss seeing the results of her handiwork.