Gift Shopping

"This has been a huge waste of time," Ryan groaned helplessly into his steering wheel. He was parked outside the mall, tired from searching for at least a decent present for Brendon.

"Cheer up, Ross. It's not a big deal if you don't get him anything." Pete gave him a sympathetic pat on the back.

"Easy for you to say. You're not the one falling in love with him. I can't just give him nothing." Pete let out a chuckle and looked out the windshield, staring at nothing in particular.

"Wow, never thought I'd hear those words coming out of your mouth. This must be some alternative universe of some kind." Ryan leaned back in his seat, pressing his head against the headrest.

"I wanted to get him something that he'd really love, but we've been driving around for hours and I still have nothing."

"Is there anything that he's told you he wants?" Ryan shook his head, on the verge of admitting defeat.

"What did you get him?"

"Slippers," Pete responded with a shrug.

"Slippers? That's it?" Ryan was surprised at the answer.

"Mmhm. He doesn't like it when I get him big stuff since I'm the one who pays when we go out to eat. I got him a Polaroid camera once and it took almost the whole night for him to give in and accept it. After that, I got him small things." Pete crossed his arms behind his head, sighing softly. "Kinda glad. I'm sure it's not fun being the one stressing over finding him the perfect gift."

"You are no help." Ryan glared when Pete laughed.

"Think, is there anything you and him have talked about? Anything that has mentioned that he likes?"

"That isn't the type of stuff we usually talk about," Ryan confessed.

"What do you talk about then?"

"I don't know, tv, music, just random stuff."

"You're gonna be a terrible boyfriend." Ryan almost took the comment serious but only rolled his eyes when he saw Pete's teasing smile.

"Have to talked about anything else?"

"We talked about his past a bit." He tried to ignore the way Pete tensed. Ryan winced, realizing that Brendon never truly discussed his past with Pete not in the way he had with him.

"What about his past?"

"His parents and a little bit about foster care." Pete silently nodded. Ryan shifted in his seat, regretting bringing the subject up.

"Is there anything from his past that he wished to have now?" Ryan almost laughed at the questioned. From what he was told, nothing in Brendon's past should be brought to the present. Well... almost nothing.

"Wait a minute." Ryan straightened up, excitement making it's way through his body. "I got it!" He reached over and smacked Pete's arm to relieve some of his growing energy.

"Ow!" Pete whined. "What was that for?" Ryan turned on the car, ready for the next part of his gift shopping; actually finding the gift.

"I know what I'm gonna get him!" Ryan pressed hard on the gas causing Pete jerk back against his seat.

"Okay, calm down. Don't kill us," Pete only partially joked as he put his seatbelt on. "So what is it?" Ryan only let a wide grin spread on his face as the only reply.