The Tunnels

Claire looked over the people who were assigned to the mission.

They were preparing to infiltrate Vaequilian land and into the royal palace.

It was dark, and they were holding torches to see their surroundings.

"Hey, do you have everything?" Sara asked as she stepped beside her.

"If you mean mean a tome by everything, yeah!" They hugged each other, "You ready?" Claire asked.

"Yeah, I'm kind of excited!" Sara said, putting her fists in the air.

Eunice walked up behind them.

"You guys got everything?" she asked, interested by how excited Sara was.

"Yeah."

Claire watched as Eunice rallied up her soldiers who had been sitting up the ground.

"Let's go!" Eunice called, "Claire, you're going to be leading us through the tunnels, okay?"

"Sure." she said.

They were bringing about one hundred archers.

Claire felt uncomfortable just thinking about being crammed in a tunnel with that many people.

She found a tunnel that was near the entrance of the Endeavirs. It was hidden under tall grass.

She climbed in and everyone else followed.

Huh. This tunnel isn't as short as the other ones I've seen!

She turned around to face Eunice.

"These tunnels are probably going to get... shorter and less comfortable as we go on."

Eunice looked around the tunnel walls, her face showing a slight discomfort.

"Sorry... I'm a little claustrophobic..." she chuckled nervously.

Claire could sense that the archers were also pretty distraught by their situation.

Claire looked down at her map.

Too dark.

"Sara, could you activate a torch spell?" she asked.

She twirled her fingers and a small ball of light appearing at her fingertip. She slid her index finger over the map and shone the light over it.

"Thanks."

In a louder voice, Claire commanded.

"Alright, follow me."