TWENTY THREE

unedited

TWENTY THREE

TWENTY THREE. THE BABY AND BEANIE

WITH THE CASE WRAPPED UP BY THE LAS VEGAS POLICE DEPARTMENT, THE QUARTET COULD RETURN HOME AND VISIT THE NEWEST MEMBER OF THE BAU. It was unexpected when JJ went into labour the same day Spencer was reconciling with his missing father, especially since she was three weeks early. But that didn't stop Daisy from rushing into the hospital room with Spencer at her side. She gasped softly, grabbing Spencer's arm in shock at the sight of the tiny baby in JJ's arms. Will, her partner (who she'd only met once or twice), stood next to her, looking almost as tired. 

"Oh my god," Daisy whispered, slowly nearing the new family of three. She knew Hotch was staring at the back of her head, but she didn't have the energy or the patience to see him. "That's a baby. That's...that's a human being."

"It's nice to see you too, Daisy," JJ laughed, watching as the young agent walked over, linking arms with Penelope. She didn't want to get too close in fear she'd do something wrong, so she kept her distance and watched the tiny child. 

Family. Thinking about that struck a chord in the young woman, and she held Penelope a little tighter. The tech analyst didn't think much of it, assuming her friend was just excited. But, Daisy was thinking about Beanie, sitting alone in her hospital bed day after day. 

Daisy remembered the day Beanie was born. She'd been woken up by her Aunt in the middle of the night to go to the hospital, where she saw little Beatrice curled up in her mother's arms. Daisy's father had told her that no matter what, she had to take care of her little sister. Daisy planned to do that until the day she died. 

"Congratulations," Spencer smiled, shaking Will's hand. Daisy snapped out of her own thoughts, making brief eye contact with Hotch. He nodded at her, as if to see if she was okay, but she just forced a smile and looked away. 

"How is it that I just went through fifteen hours of labour and you look worse than I do?" JJ joked, looking at Spencer. He was exhausted after the case, which didn't come as a surprise.  

"Don't be ridiculous," Spencer chuckled, dismissing the comment. "You look beautiful."

JJ and Will exchanged a glance, before the latter looked around the small group. "Well, I could sure use some coffee. Anyone else? My treat."

Daisy, along with the others, took that as their cue to leave. Spencer walked over to JJ as the room emptied, a proud smile on his face. 

"He's beautiful," Daisy pouted, leaning into Penelope's shoulder as they wandered back down the hall. "Good job, Will."

Will looked over his shoulder and grinned in response. The team gathered around the instant coffee machine, punching in their orders. Daisy denied a cup, hanging back and looking around. She hated hospitals. The fluorescent lights had never been comforting to her, neither was the smell of cleaning products and plastic. The idea that people were living and dying in a single building made her feel uncomfortable, despite her job. It was just overwhelming, having everything packed into one place. They also reminded her of Beanie, and the accident.