(Past) pt.1

We were travelling from Memphis to Washington DC at night. Dad had just solved a case in Memphis and was going to report in Washington DC, where he had been assigned another case.

"What's the time, Kim?" 

"It's half past eleven, dad."

It was at this time that I noticed a red Sedan parked at the side of the road. There were 3 passengers in that car. One of them seemed like in his early 20's. The others seemed in their thirties. The guy in early 20's was sitting behind the wheels. The man riding shotgun had covered his face with a black scarf. The man sitting at the back had pressed his face against the windows. I noticed he was clean shaven.

I didn't give much thought to them and we rode on. Half an hour later, the Sedan was driving behind us at some distance. Fast forward to 10 minutes, and the driver was honking at us to let him pass. Our driver made the fatal mistake of letting them overtake us. 

The Sedan overtook our Tesla and then followed a zig-zag pattern while reducing its speed. My dad was riding shotgun while I was sitting at the back. The car came to a halt. The driver parked his car diagonally across the road.

The man who was riding shotgun came out of the car holding a revolver in his hand. The other man was carrying a sword. The revolver-man went to my dad's side and the sword-man went to the driver's side. I remember crying, "Leave us alone! What have we done to you? Leave us!" in that scary moment.

I have no clue what happened between the sword-man and the driver, but somehow the door to the driver's side opened and the sword-man roughly pulled the driver out of the car. He then opened the door of the backseat and tried to drag me out.

I continued sitting in the car and resisted him. After 10 seconds of trying to pull me out, the man got frustrated and swung his sword towards my neck. It was good that my reflexes were fast enough for me to move my neck to my left at the right time and miss the strike by millimetres.

The sword got embedded in the seat. I took this chance to quickly get out of the car. My dad's and the driver's phone had been taken by the revolver-man. As soon as I got out of the car, they got in and sped off. And we were left stranded on the road.

A/N: Do not consider this chapter to be purely a work of fiction. It's not. I faced something similar to what I have depicted here, only much worse. If you google up NH-10, you might read that such incidents are common on that highway. It was on NH-10 that I was travelling on that fateful night.