Chapter 8

We stayed in Pittsburgh for 3 more days.

Celia had packed a duffle bag full of clothes and other necessities for me and Charlie, that was now standing on the empty bed beside mine. Unfortunately for me, Damien had talked to my doctor about my dizziness so that I had to stay here for another 2 nights, but I highly doubted that he did it because he was worried.

Today was Friday and our plane would leave in about three hours. Charlie was sitting on my bed, trying to tie his shoes on his own but he was so nervous because of his first flight that he couldn’t seem to keep still enough.

“Come on, let me do it.”, I said and tied his shoes for him. Celia and Derek couldn’t transfer until next month so we would be going without them for now, but they were currently on their way to the hospital to say goodbye, at least for a few weeks.

They had been visiting both me and Charlie every single day whenever they got off work.

Damien had been sleeping in Charlie’s room, like I had always done, to be able to spend more time with him before he had to start working again.

He and Charlie were getting along great and I didn’t know whether I was supposed to be happy about it or not.

Of course, I wanted the best for Charlie and no matter what was going on between Damien and me- nobody could deny that he was a great father even though he had little experience with children.

But on the other hand, I was afraid of losing Charlie.

It had always just been the two of us. And my parents, Celia, and Derek of course but now Damien was here, and he could give him all the things that I couldn’t.

I knew it was stupid and silly, but I just couldn’t help it, especially because ever since Damien and I had almost kissed that night, he had been so cold and dismissive in my presence again and it hurt me more than I was willing to admit, even to my best friend Celia.

We were going to leave in a couple of minutes, and I put on my dark blue coat and tied it at the front.

My dizziness was almost completely gone and the medications that I was taking made the pain bearable. The bandage around my head was gone as well because I had insisted on it, and this morning I had finally washed my hair to remove all the dirt and dried blood in it. My scalp still hurt, but due to the stiches it wasn’t bleeding anymore. The pressure and ringing in my ears were fading but I still had a headache from time to time, especially when I moved a lot or thought too hard about something, which I did a lot.

My face wasn’t as swollen anymore but my eye was still colored in a deep blue-greenish tone and I didn’t even try to put makeup over it. I wasn’t as pale anymore either and breathing didn’t hurt as bad anymore even though I still couldn’t really bend down or turn, and I had to sleep on my back because sleeping on my sides hurt way too much. Also, my whole body, especially my neck, was stiff from not being able to move properly ad spending all day lying in bed, and even thinking about the cramped little seats in the planes I usually flew with, made me feel sick again.