Chapter 27: The Mrs'

Colby and I both stare at my front door as we wait impatiently for the couple to arrive. I'm excited yet so nervous to meet them. These are the people who could possibly raise our baby. What if they don't like us? What if we don't like them? It's not like we have much time. I'm 32 weeks pregnant, so there's only two months until he gets here.

I bounce my leg up and down and bite my fingernail. The suspense is killing me. Colby puts his hand on my knee, holding it down so I couldn't move. "Amara," he groans. "I'm sorry. I'm just nervous." I sigh and try to relax.

"I am, too. But we need to act cool."

"I know." I frown. I'm still not completely sure on adoption, but I know it's what's best for him.

The door bell rings. We look at each other hesitantly before standing up. Colby's hand stays on my back as we walk to the door. I take a deep breath and open it, smiling. In front of me I see the same two women we picked. They both look extremely nice and pleasant.

"Hi! I'm Amara, this is Colby." I tell them, shaking their hands. Colby does the same.

"I'm Robin and then is my wife Lillian." The red headed lady states.

I let them into the house shutting the door behind them.

"Beautiful home," Lillian says as she holds her wife's hand.

"Thank you," I laugh. "My parents have been here since I was a baby. Come sit." Colby walks awkwardly behind me as I take them to my living room.

They sit down on my loveseat, still looking around the walls at our pictures and decorations.

"So how long have you two been together?" Robin asks as she points between me and Colby.

We look at each other and both chuckle a little, "We're not. We're just friends." I tell them smiling.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Robin laughs.

"It's alright. We just had that one night-" I cut Colby off my hitting his back slightly. "Were friends." He says ending his sentence. 

"Well that's great. Good you two have a nice relationship." Lillian says smiling.

"What about you?" I ask them.

"Well we met in college ten years ago. We were just friends for a while but after a couple months we started dating." Lillian starts as she gazes at Robin.

"We wanted to wait until we were graduated to get married. But she did propose on our second anniversary." Robin finishes.

I smile as I listen to them. It's great seeing a couple that's still in love, even after almost ten years.

"What made you guys chose adoption?" Lillian asks.

I sigh and look at Colby, who I know is still wishing I didn't. "We has a lot of ups and downs in the beginning of my pregnancy. While he was gone," I glance at Colby, "I decided it would be best for him to go to a stable family that will be able to give him a healthy life. Which, I know we could, but I just feel more comfortable doing that. I love him, so much, but I know I'm not ready." My eyes water as I explain the situation. I wish I could keep him.

"So it's a boy?" Robin asks.

"Yes ma'am, we named him Cain. But I guess that'll change." Colby tells them. I look at him sternly. That was a little out of line.

"Oh that's a great name. I'm sure we can incorporate that somewhere. Right?" Lillian asks Robin. Robin smiles and nods.

"Speaking of which, did you guys want an open or closed adoption?" Robin asks us.

That's something we haven't thought about. I just figured whoever would adopt him would want a closed. I open my mouth and look at Colby, who looks just as concerned as me. We thought we were prepared to talk with them, but maybe not.

"I- I mean it's okay if you guys don't know. We just wanted to let you know that we would love for you guys to be able to have a relationship with your son if you wanted to, or if he wanted to." Lillian tells us.

I smile and nod, but looks down at my hands. What if we agree to an open adoption and he grows up thinking we don't love him? But what if it's closed, he would definitely get curious and have questions.

"I would love to know him. I'm sure Amara would too. It might not seem like it but we love him a lot." Colby tells them, his hand caressing my knee.

"Y-Yeah, of course I would. I just want to do what's best for him. At the end of the day it's about him." I tell them.

"We agree." Robin nods and smiles.

***

We say our goodbyes before shutting the door. I loved them. They were genuine and kind to us. They didn't judge or ask too many personal questions. And they want Cain to have a relationship with us. They actually want him to be able to see us and things like that. I think it's a deal breaker.

"What did you think?" I ask Colby as I sit back on my bed.

"They were cool." He shrugs as he sits on the bottom of my bed.

I roll my eyes and sigh, "I mean, do you think they're a good match? For us and Cain?"

He sighs and turns around to face me. "I loved them, Amara. But, you know how I feel. I think they're perfect if this is really what you want." His lips press together.

I smile softly, "It's what I want."