Chapter Seven: The Trial Run

"Do you want to train together today?" My head snap up to James, seated across me.

I swallow the half chewed egg in my mouth, looking at him. Why would he want that? James has been doing well. He doesn't need to be dragged down by me.

"No. You don't want people to think that you're allied with me." I finally answer. "Stick with the eights."

The table goes silent.

"Why don't I want that?" James looks at me as I reach forward for my mug of coffee. "You don't want to be allies?"

"I - James?" I look over to Orange, who is comically turning her head from him to me and back again. "We don't have to talk about this over-"

"I'm going to be honest with you, James; I don't know if I should." I ignore Orange and look at the young boy. "I don't know how you fight."

"You - wha-"

"You spent the whole training learning how to make fires and the different types of berries." I cut off his stumbling confusion. "I mean - it's not good to demonstrate everything in training but, right now, you look like dead weight. What's your best weapon?"

James hesitates.

"Exactly. You're cute and arguably the Capitol's favorite." I push forward in my harsh analysis, hating every word of it. The folded piece of white paper feels particularly heavy in my pocket. "But you haven't shown one ounce of survival skills. That's nothing to work with."

I lift my coffee to my lips finally, taking a sip.

It was on my bathroom counter this morning, another white rose above it. As soon as I opened it, I cursed him out loud. Being the difficult person that he is, Snow gave me three things to do - each of them testing a different thing. The more I think of them, the more logical that they are and the more that they piss me off.

One that sets me up for the arena.

1) Become a career.

Another to make sure that my heart won't get in the way, this one easily the hardest one to do. It's also the reason that I'm being a total asshole to James, presenting him an opportunity to prove himself to me. My plan is to make him hopeful and motivated and then crush him in the training center. It might work, but it also might not.

2) Make your District partner cry.

And the final one is the best one - oh so simple and yet so creative. Snow must have been smiling when he wrote this one.

3) Make someone bleed.

They're not particularly easy - but also doable if I fully commit.

"What do you want from me?" James speaks hesitantly.

I set down my coffee cup and, under the table, clench my fist to resist comforting the kid. The more that I try to fulfill this requirement, the more I realize that I may have a soft spot for James. That's dangerous. "Prove yourself."

|||

"You seem confused." My head tilts to the side briefly and I meet eyes with an amused-looking Alice. She stops walking next to me, looking out on my perch.

I was standing in the corner, deciding where to go. Although Snow wants me to mingle with the careers, I can't seem too eager. Alice had to come up to me first.

"I haven't decided where to waste my time yet." I reply, a smile slipping onto my face. "Any suggestions?"

"Do a violent one. I've still got to see if you're a good fighter." Alice responds.