Act II : "You Should Leave"

A/n

'Cause third time's a charm - the "e" in Duante is silent.

.
.

"Holy shit, that's Adrisa. She's coming towards us!" Shohei grabbed Drayden's arm. "Be cool, be cool, be cool."

"I am cool." Drayden pulled his arm out of his friend's grip. "Don't touch me."

Shohei was nearly giddy with excitement as he watched the one and only, Adrisa Mersden approach, a book held close to her chest and a sling bag dangling off her shoulder. She was wearing casual jeans and a light-coloured T-shirt and her hair was pulled back in a high ponytail.

Shohei wasn't really acquainted with her and only shared a random "hi" and "bye" whenever they crossed paths. But he did not need to talk to her to know how absolutely cool and badass she was; added to the fact that she could turn Drayden fucking Hawthorne into a crushing mess - both in the cute romantic way, as well as the un-cute rival way - was more than enough proof.

"Hi, Adrisa," Shohei cried cheerfully when she reached them.

Adrisa flashed him a bright smile. "Hey, good morning!" She then turned to Drayden and her smile slightly turned more... formal, "Hi."

"Hi." Drayden gave her a curt nod. "How can we help?"

Shohei mentally facepalmed so hard it hurt his head. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK, DRAY? He screamed internally. Who the fuck talked like that to their crush? How can we help?

"Uh..." Adrisa was clearly taken aback (who could blame her, really?) and her features hardened. "Duante didn't come to class today, which is strange because we had a test and it's unlike him to miss a test. I tried calling him a couple of times but he isn't picking up. I just wanted to ask if you knew what's up. I hope he's okay?"

Shohei and Drayden exchanged a look.

"So I'm guessing you don't know either?" Adrisa added.

"Well," Shohei began, "he hasn't replied to our messages but we just assumed it was because of the test."

Drayden already had his phone out and pressed to his ear. After a minute of intense silence and bated breaths, he shook his head. "He's not answering."

Shohei's breath hitched in his chest. "We should go check on him."

Drayden nodded and turned to Adrisa. "Thank you," he said stiffly.

"Any time," she said, brows furrowed. "Lemme know once you check up on him, okay?"

Drayden nodded once again, before turning around and walking towards the parking lot, Shohei beside him. "I'm sure it's nothing." Drayden said, shooting him a concerned look.

Shohei didn't say anything. Missing classes - a test, no less - was indeed very unlike Duante. If something important had come up (like what?), he would've let at least one of them know. He always did.

Wordlessly, the two got into their respective cars. Shohei called Duante as he pulled out of the parking lot - the phone rang and rang and rang but no one answered.

"Goddamnit, Duante," he muttered, leaning forward to silence the radio. Now was not the time for pop music to be blaring out of his stereo.

A few minutes later, his phone rang. His momentary happiness dissipated when he found it was just Drayden. "I called his neighbor, she said he's home."

Well, that was good (right?). But there was still an unease that coursed through Shohei's veins, one that he couldn't shake off...

It took them another fifteen minutes to reach Duante's apartment building. They climbed the stairs in silence.