CHAPTER 17.2

"It took them nearly a week to get back

"It took them nearly a week to get back."

Honey had spent a majority of that time just... sitting around with the Raven Sister, doing a whole lot of nothing. Not that she minded. In fact, it was probably a good thing to have some downtime. It gave her time to relax and refocus. The goal in front of her was closer than ever. Maybe. If Lukas and Dai would just come back.

Then the Raven Sisters would leave her alone. Once again, it wasn't like Honey minded the company. She might've gone crazy if she were here alone, but the Raven Sisters seemed a bit... superfluous. There was no real reason for them to be here, other than to wait out whatever was happening in the heavens alongside Honey. Or maybe it only seemed superfluous because their mere presence was scaring off anything that might want to hurt Honey.

But just when Honey was about to admit that this was all foolish - that she needed to move on, to find a way back home, back to her brother, that she needed to accept that Lukas and Dai weren't coming back anytime soon, if ever - the entire Woods seemed to come alive with light. Honey had been half asleep when it happened but she was quick to rouse when her entire body was suddenly submerged in light.

"What was that?" Honey said, snapping to attention as she stared in the direction the light had come from.

Alysia spread her wings, clearly on the defensive. "Only one way to find out."

The three of them hurried in the direction of the light. It had come from the exact spot that the god and familiar had disappeared from. And they stood there, in the same clothes, wearing the same expressions, as if no time had passed for them at all. Honey let out a silly little laugh. Lukas and Dai. Dai and Lukas.

They were back.

Honey burst out, tackling both boys in a hug. Dai let out an unflattering squeak but Lukas just grunted and braced all three of them so they didn't fall straight to the ground. He truly was a blessing. "I thought you were gone for good!" Honey said when she pulled away. "Gods, don't scare me like that!"

"How long were we gone?" Lukas asked.

"And how are you still alive?" Dai said, narrowing his eyes suspiciously. "These Woods are made to get Lekkis dead."

"Your concern is truly touching," Honey said, rolling her eyes. "And about a week?"

Which was when the Raven Sisters appeared behind Honey. They bowed in unison as Dai cocked his head. "Oh," he said. "You kept her alive."

"And who are they?" Lukas snarled, his eyes narrowing.

"Friends!" Honey said, pulling the Raven Sisters up and squeezing their shoulders. "We're all friends here. They did sort of keep me from not dying while you two were off doing who knows what, who knows where-"

"We went to the heavens," Lukas said, sighing as he lowered himself against the back of a tree. He looked rather worn, but Honey didn't say anything. She just pressed her lips together and sat down across from him. The Mutare didn't dare lower themselves. They stood at attention, filled with acute alertness.