CHAPTER 18.1

The hum in the air as we hold ours breaths

The untouched Woods no more.

We gasp and plead and cry for him

But the Goddess cleans her sword.

The moon swells and sighs for him.

But our Dark Master is no more.

~Song of the Wild Woods

_________________________________

"Their swords clanged together fiercely

"Their swords clanged together fiercely."

Honey gritted her teeth, struggling to keep up with the fast pace of the drills. It was open thing to practice sword play while they were standing still - and they did a lot of that too - but this was something else entirely. They were walking along a path. A path covered in roots and holes and all sorts of uneven ground that made it impossible to not watch one's footing. And the thing was, Dai was walking it backwards.

Honey was struggling to watch her feet and watch her blade. She and Dai were going through basic attacks and their counters. Honey had learned four different moves and Dai would switch between which ones they were practicing at a moment's notice. Honey always struggled to get her barings but just when she got into the routine, Dai would have her switch again.

So Honey fell. A lot.

This time when she hit the ground, the sword came tumbling out of her hand and weakness filled every limb in her body. "Ow," she groaned, struggling to push herself up, but ultimately failing. She'd... overdone it.

Lukas looked back over his shoulder. He'd recovered since returning from the heavens and was pressing an even more grueling pace than before. "If you two can't keep up you shouldn't be wasting your energy on games," he scolded, crossing his arms. He tended to say that line a lot but it never really stopped Honey or Dai.

"She's getting better," Dai said. "Maybe tomorrow she will walk behind."

"Oh no," Honey said, struggling to get up again. It didn't go so well this time either. She grunted as she fell back to her knees. "Dai... a little help."

Dai's ear twitched as he hurried over and pulled Honey off the ground. "Lukas."

"What?" the fire god snapped.

"Come here and carry her."

Honey perked up at those words. Dai would sometimes help her walk after a particularly brutal training session, wrapping her arm around his shoulders, but no one had offered a ride before. "Yes please!" Honey said. "Give me a piggy back ride!"