c h a p t e r 14- football practice

Running up to Xavier, I caught his arm just as he stopped at the door to the classroom.

'Hey,' I said, chewing my lip, 'can you not mention this to anyone? Anyone meaning my brothers- they made this stupid no boys' rule and I know they'll just make a big deal out of it if they found out.'

'Don't worry, your secrets safe with me,' Xavier winked, patting my arm condescendingly as we entered the now empty classroom- yes, we had been stuck in the cupboard for so long, it was now lunch.

My stomach rumbled, greeting Cole as he strolled in, his ever-present smirk plastered on his face. A small frown appeared on his face when he heard my stomach that was still grumbling like a fucking thunderstorm. I smiled through my embarrassment, both boys now looking slightly concerned by the sounds coming from me.

'You need to eat.' Cole stated.

'You think?' 

He rolled his eyes, grabbing my hand again- a habit that I couldn't tell if I found annoying or slightly nice- and pulled me towards the cafeteria, Xavier trailing behind like a lost puppy. Grabbing everything that I wanted- an apple and smoothie- Cole narrowed his eyes at me before trying- and failing- to sneak a cookie onto my plate. I watched in amusement as he looked up- quite literally freezing like a kid caught with his hand in a cookie jar- and shrugged at me, 'No-one can survive the rest of the day on just an apple and smoothie.'

We finally got out of the line- Cole payed for me much to my protests- and I shuffled about, unsure whether Cole was going to follow me to my table or go sit with his usual crowd. I soon got my answer when Cole spun around, flashing me a quick smile, and went to leave to sit with his popular group- one of them being Jordan. I watched him go, a strange feeling of disappointment washing over me. No attachments my mind reminded me- I mean, yeah, Cole and me had shared a moment but why would he sit with me? He's a dickhead, I prompted to myself. Yeah, keep telling yourself that Alyssa, maybe then your heart will stop feeling like it's being squeezed apart.

Sighing, I sat down next to Willow, who gave me a questioning glance before listening back to Lyra who was ranting about something per usual. I chewed angrily on my cookie, ripping it into pieces while glaring at the direction of Cole, who was now flirting with some cheerleader bitch, her skirt so far up her ass I'm surprised it wasn't just considered underwear at this point.

'Alyssa! Oi!' I snapped out of my haze as a piece of sushi was thrown at my head.

'Huh?' I asked, looking towards Xavier who now pointing directly behind me. I turned my head and groaned. Jared was pacing towards us, Jordan following behind him- I guess I had really been watching Cole avidly cus I didn't even see Jordan leave his table.

'Hey sis!' Jordan exclaimed, ruffling my hair. Jared stood behind me, arms crossed and feet widened in a pose that screamed 'Fuck with me, you die'. Frankly, my friends look terrified. God, I was going to have to hurry this up.

'What do you guys want then?'

'That's not very nice.' Jared said flatly. Jordan and me rolled our eyes in sync- twin things hehe- and I gestured my hand, telling him to get to the point.

'I have detention, Dylan's busy and Jordan has football practice after school so you're gonna have to wait for us, go to the bleachers, yeah?'

'Can't I just get the bus?' I asked them, pleading with my best puppy eyes- Jordan made sure to cover them quickly- before they both exclaimed a, 'Nope!'

With Jordan's hand no longer enveloping me in darkness, I cleared my vision to see them walking away, leaving a trail a scared boys and girls behind them. Sipping my smoothie, I took a deep breath out, shaking my head at my friends and laughing, 'You do know they aren't gonna hurt you, right?'