chapter thirty four

"That's my favorite photograph of him." Narcissa said from behind me as I held the picture of little Draco in my hand. I smiled up at her, unsure of what to say as I was feeling almost nervous. She approached me slowly before sitting herself down next to me on the bed. "You know, you remind me a lot of when I was young and first met Lucius."

"Really?" I responded quietly.

"Yes, Draco is like his father in many ways that he wouldn't like to admit." Narcissa smiled softly. "They are both stubborn with a hard exterior, they take their pride too seriously. But as we both know, what's at the surface doesn't represent them as a whole."

"That's beautifully put, Narcissa." I replied. It was nice to talk to someone who understood, and I was shocked that she was opening up to me in this way.

"You make my son very happy, it seems."

"He makes me very happy too." My heart felt full and a new type of happiness spread throughout my body. She gave me one last heartfelt smile before standing to her feet and making her way to the door, but before leaving she had one last thing to say.

"I'm sorry about your father." Narcissa said in a small voice before closing the door behind me.

I sat quietly for a few moments, taking in what Narcissa had just said to me. I dreamed of nothing more than being accepted into Draco's family. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him and feared he would leave me if I weren't accepted.

I spent the next few hours cleaning up the room successfully as I had no distractions before getting myself ready for bed. I was growing anxious as Draco has been gone for so long, but sat myself down at the bed nonetheless with a book in my hands to attempt to distract myself.

A few pages in, Draco walked into the room. His hair was ruffled, and he had a distasteful look on his face as he didn't say a word to me. He walked straight past me and into the bathroom where he seemingly got ready for bed. I put the book down on the bed side table and waited for him to come to bed.

Draco climbed into bed and took a deep sigh before running his fingers through his hair.

"Is everything okay?" I questioned, placing my hand on his shoulder.

"I'm fine." Draco almost snapped; he clearly regretted his tone as soon as he spoke but made no effort to apologize. I sat back and removed my touch from his.

"Where have you been?" I pushed further, but he didn't bother responding. He simply put out the light and lay down, facing away from me. "Draco, are you sure you're okay."

"I said, I'm fine." He snapped once again. "I just want to go to sleep."

I didn't bother speaking again. My mouth grew dry as tears threatened to leave my eyes. I felt slightly pathetic, he'd barely shouted or said anything to extreme and yet I felt like crying. The last thing I wanted to do was annoy him, I was simply concerned and worried and wanted to make him feel better.

I sighed quietly before laying down. I glanced over at his back as he was facing away from me and bit my lip as small snores escaped his mouth. He never did this; we fell asleep in each other's arms every night. Feeling like I was just being overdramatic, I attempted to fall asleep myself. I tried hard not to overthink the situation too much as it was keeping me awake, however couldn't help but convince myself this meant he was falling out of love.

Eventually I managed to fall into a deep sleep and instantly began creating an intense dream in my mind.

I walked into a room that was filled was light coming from large windows. There were huge bookshelves that covered the walls, and Draco was sat reading a book in a large armchair. He soon noticed my presence and looked up at me. I walked over to him slowly as he rose to his feet. He engulfed me in his arms and kissed the top of my head.

"Mummy!" A small voice came from behind me. I turned around to see a small boy with platinum blonde hair and a smile that mirrored Draco's.

Happiness struck through my body as I walked forwards to hug the small child, but the feeling soon changed. As I took each step forwards, the room grew darker and colder and the child's face began to change. Fear grew in the child's eyes as he began to scream, terrified.

I felt something grab the back of my arms and tie them together so I couldn't move as I was thrown into a small dark room.

"Let me out!" I screamed, banging on the walls. I could barely move as the room was so small and my throat began to hurt from my sobbing and screaming.

"Amelia!" Draco shouted, shaking my shoulders. I opened my eyes, out of breath and quickly sat up. "Amelia, darling, what's wrong?" Instead of replying, I began sobbing and fell into his arms, scarred from the nightmare I had just woke up from. "It's okay, it was only a dream." Draco comforted me, allowing me to sob into his chest as he ran his fingers through my hair.

"I'm sorry." I sobbed, feeling guilty for waking him when he was clearly tired.

"Don't be silly, it's not your fault." He continued to comfort me. "I'm sorry for being moody earlier, I didn't mean to upset you."

I soon calmed down, taking deep breaths as Draco's touch relaxed me.

"I love you so much, Amelia. I'm sorry."