Happiness Is... Part 3/6

After Varian spends a few more moments with his 'father,' Rapunzel suddenly can't take it anymore. "Uh, okay, give it back!" She shouts, rushing at Varian and enclosing her purse over the idol. Once he is no longer touching it, the glow in his eyes fades... along with the happiness he was feeling. In fact, an immense sorrow and depression is instantly thrust upon him.

"Whoa whoa whoa... What gives, Raps?" Cassandra asks.

"Yeah Blondie, since when are you not into sharing?" Eugene adds.

"What?" Rapunzel says, plastering a smile on her face. "Not into sharing? Me? No no no no no no. No, I love to share, it's just that... I don't want to use up, uh, all of the magic all at once. You know?" She hugs her purse close, and then runs off to their shelter with it. "Okay, bye!"

"Hey, bring that back!" Varian shouts after her, but he stops himself. Why do I care if she has it or not? Nothing it shows us is real, he tries to reason with himself. But his emotions are being unreasonable. What if this is the only way he'll ever see his father again?

"I will do anything to get that statue back," he says aloud. He glances around to make sure none of the others heard him, but he discovers that they are each distracted with devising their own plans to take the idol from Rapunzel. He sees that Cassandra is planning on sneaking around the back of the shelter, Eugene is going to distract the princess with a date, Lance is too lazy to come up with is own idea so he's trying to steal Eugene's, and Hook Foot is already sitting on the roof of the shelter, lowering his hook into Rapunzel's room with a fishing pole.

Hook Foot's gonna get it! I have to stop him, Varian thinks, running towards the shelter as Eugene knocks on the door holding a bouquet of flowers.

"Blondie, hello?" Eugene says, snickering. "Can you come out?"

"Uh, you just want me to come out so you can have the idol!" Rapunzel shouts from inside. "Ha ha! I'm on to you."

Hearing her say this, the others immediately stop what they're doing. Varian even catches himself sneaking up behind Hook Foot, about to push him off the roof. How did I even get up here?

     "What? No!" Eugene says in mock defense

"What? No!" Eugene says in mock defense. "Are you crazy? That is not true." He gestures to the others and adds, "We collectively miss you. Right, guys?"

The others exchange glances, and then nod eagerly with fake smiles.

"You see?" Eugene says with a shrug. "And, yes, were you to come out it would be a fantastic opportunity to pass the ol' magical statue around and experience the ultimate happiness that we all long for deep in our hearts. But I don't think anyone out here even thought of that. Did we?"

The others shake their heads in agreement.

"You're laying it on too thick!" Varian shouts from the roof.