CHAPTER 48

If the sun wins the fight, it is because of its might and power. If the moon won, it is because of its cool and composed self. Now, what kind of victory do you prefer? The mighty or the cool?

'....and she stayed in the study all day. She didn't come down for lunch or dinner. She was empty stomach, the whole day. If I would go and try to speak to her, she would not reply, but she would speak to Ammi.' Aayan says. Aayan and Zubair were currently seated in Aayan's office. Aayan was telling his friend about his stupidity, that he yelled at Ruhee for no reason, 'So, what you gonna do now?' Zubair asks him, as he waits for his lunch to come,  'I don't know, man.' Aayan picks up his lunch bag and pulls out his lunch box. He opens the box to find it empty, and a sticky note attached inside. He pulls it out and reads it.

I am sorry, but this irresponsible girl had done something irresponsible and didn't pack your lunch.
I hope you like eating air.
Ruhee :-P

Aayan signs and closes his box. Zubair rises his eyebrow at him and Aayan hands him the note. Zubair reads it and starts laughing, 'Man, you screwed up big time.' Aayan just gives him a blank look and says, 'I don't feel like eating anyway.' Zubair frowns at him and asks, 'Why?' Aayan shrugs and says, 'I don't know. I had to force my lunch down my throat yesterday and I didn't feel like having dinner. I even skipped breakfast today.' Zubair bends forward and places his arms on the table, 'Did Ruhee have breakfast today?' He asks him and Aayan shakes his head sadly.

Zubair leans back in his chair and says, 'No wonder you are not eating.' Aayan looks up at him and he just smiles at his friend. A knock on the door is heard and Mason walks in with Zubair's ordered lunch. He places it on the table and leaves. Zubair opens his Chinese take out and starts munching, while Aayan goes through a file. After a few moments, Aayan slams the file shut and leans back on his chair and rests his head. Zubair who was eating, stops and asks him, 'What's up, Aayan?' Aayan immediately sits straight and starts speaking, 'I mean, she is diabetic, and she hasn't had anything since yesterday. She has been awake almost every night since the beginning of this week, studying for her model exams. What if she faints in college or while writing her exam? She is mad at me but why take it out on food?' Aayan falls back on his chair, dramatically holding his head.

Zubair just stares at his friends outburst with honey chicken stuffed in his mouth. He swollows them without chewing properly which leads him to choking and then, gulping down half a bottle of water. After handling his childish behavior, Zubair looks at Aayan and says, 'If you are really that worried about her, why don't you go pick her up from college and take her out for lunch? You know, try to apologize to her.' Aayan looks at his friend for a brief moment, then suddenly stands up from his chair and walks out the door. After a moment Aayan opens the door slightly and says in a very low voice, 'Thanks, man.' Zubair just blinks at the now, closed door, 'Ruhee is surely making him do stuff.' he says with a smile and turns back to his lunch, 'Time to have some honey chicken!'

Aayan was leaning back on his car, which was parked outside of Ruhee's college. Many girls were leaving the college, but not before giving him a second look. He was impatiently waiting for a particular face. His face relaxed when he saw a certain multi coloured hijab girl, walking out. Ruhee was smiling and chatting with Aina. She had not yet noticed Aayan waiting there for her. Jian noticed that many girls were looking at a certain direction, so she also looked. Her eyes widened and she elbowed Afza, who was busy typing on her mobile. She looks at Jian to see her looking at something and so, she looked aswell. She frowned at the site and elbowed Ruhee. Ruhee looked at her friend who pointed her to a direction. Ruhee looked that way along with Aina and all four of then stopped in their tracks.

Ruhee frowned, not knowing what he was doing here. She walks over to him, maintaining the frown on her face. She stood before him and folded her hands, 'What are you doing here?' She asks him. Aayan suddenly became nervous, 'I.. Uh.. I was passing by, so thought why not pick you up.' he says, and laughs awkwardly. Ruhee narrows her eyes at him. He clears his throat and stands straight and says, 'So, shall we?' he asks, worried she might reject him. Ruhee looks to her left and her right, seeing the college girls looking at Aayan and whispering. Her frown deepened at them and she turned back to look at her frozen friends.