20. {vines, vines, vines}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

november 2nd
byers' residence

after sorting things out, joyce came to a conclusion: the shadow monster was messing with her head. mike wanted to see will so him and tilly went back to the room.

will wasn't drawring anymore, he was just perched on his bed. when the duo walked in, he didn't even glance at them. tilly sat next to him while mike shuffled around the room.

"it's like... it's like i feel what the shadow monster's feeling." will explained, "see what he's seeing."

"like in the upside down?" mike quired.

"duh!" tilly nodded.

"some of him is there." will explained, "but some of him is here, too."

"here, like, in this house?" mike asked.

"in this house... in me... and in mattie."

"what?" tilly looked up.

"i can-can feel what you and him are feeling." will confessed, "it's like... it's like he's reaching into hawkins more and more. and the more he spreads, the more connected to you guys i feel."

"and the more you see these now-memories." mike reminded him as he sat to the right of will.

"at first i just felt it in the back of my head. i didn't even really know it was there." will rambled, "it's like when you have a dream and you can't remember it unless you think really hard."

"can't remember it unless you think really hard."

"it was like that. but know it's like... now i remember. i remember all the time."

"lucky." tilly muttered.

"maybe... maybe that's good." mike suggested.

"good?" the two questioned.

"just think about it, will," mike told him, "you're like a spy now. a superspy. spying on the shadow monster."

"that's... so cool." tilly stood up.

"if you know what he's seeing and feeling... maybe that's how we can stop him. maybe all of this is happening for a reason."

"you really think so?" will sighed.

"yeah. yeah, i really do."

"do you mattie?" will turned to the girl.

she put her hand on his shoulder, "for once, i agree with wheeler."

"but what if he figures out we're spying on him?" will sniffled, "what if he spies back?"

"he won't." mike reassured him.