25.

Sanskar leaned to the wall, waiting for the bulb turn green from red. He was feeling as if his heart refused to beat. The fear he always had, the fear which she healed, was resurfacing. Will something happen to her? His brain did try to tend to his aching heart but neither could provide solace nor stop its wandering.

"Everything is fine."

Ragini's words during their marriage rang in his ears while tears rolled down from his closed eyes. How anxious he was to invite a person into his life? The fear of losing someone again clutched his heart then, and Ragini was there to promise her companionship. Now, it's all at stake.

***

"Here are Uttara Maheswari's belongings." A nurse handed over the folded dress and ornaments to Sujatha as she sobbed leaning to Parineeti's shoulder. Laksh tightened his embrace around Swara as she stared Sujatha blankly. She clasped it even more tightly.

***

A warm hand pressed Sanskar's shoulder which turned out to be Annapurna's but he didn't stir. She gently rubbed his back wishing it would soothe a bit but in vain. Coming out of his train of thoughts, Sanskar did glance his 'Maa' once but his attention got diverted to the bulb as it changed to green.

"Patient is out of danger now. She will be moved to room on gaining consciousness." The doctor in his light blue scrubs informed the family as Sanskar stared inside through the door.

"Can we meet her?" It was Laksh who asked.

"Yeah. But now, only one or two. And Mr. Maheswari, please come to my cabin."

***

Sanskar and Swara rushed together towards the door as soon as they heard the doctor's words and stopped mid-way staring each other. Seeing Sanskar, Swara withdrew herself back grasping the bundle she had in her arms.

Sanskar closed his eyes, let out a deep sigh, mumbled a sorry and pushed the door open.

There she was laying, her face being pale in contrast to the glow and cheerfulness she had in past, wearing pale blue hospital gown, various apparatus attached to her making beep sounds assuring him that she was there, to be with him. It ached his heart to see her in the situation where he yearned to see her in bright clothes gifted by him, imagined her to descend the stairs like a princess. Sanskar sat on the stool beside the bed, took her hand in his hand, and lowered his forehead to touch her palm as he let sobs escape his mouth.

"Ragz..." He called out. "This is not fair yaar." He mumbled in between holding her cold hands. "You promised me..." His words trailed off.

"Sir, kindly let the patient rest. She will be shifted to room soon." The nurse reminded him after a couple of minutes.

***

"Sanskar." Durgaprasad placed his hands on Sanskar's shoulder as he exited the ICU. "Come, we need to see the doctor."

"Uttara.. How is she?" Sanskar enquired about his sister who had passed out due to trauma.

"She is given sedation. Will be fine soon."

***

"Sanskar.." Dr.Shivom's voice trailed off seeing the worried faces in front of him. "You guys, please be strong. Ragini is totally out of danger. Now what she needs is love, care, medicines and support, okay." He smiled as Sanskar, Laksh, Swara and Durgaprasad let out the breath they had been holding. Dr. Shivom was Sanskar's friend as well as Durgaprasad's friend's son.

"But you guys need to be beside her. She's so fragile. Ragini has been mildly hit on her head, strangled in a bad manner and then stabbed in her lower back."

Tears pooled in Sanskar's eyes on hearing the intensity of attack his wife endured while Swara gasped in horror.

"The wound on head is not deep but she was strangled to the extent that her larynx was on the verge of damage. And, concerning the stab, it is a deep wound and had a high chance of lower body paralysis. But we should thank stars that she was rescued by then and she was brave enough not to succumb to the wounds."

Shivom could feel the tension in the room again as the Maheswaris waited for his words.

"Woh, she might not be able to talk for few days till her vocal cord recover. Also, she needs to be bed-ridden for quite some time."

***

"This girl never opens up to us. She always buries whole thing in her mind and swallow the pain. Do we all live with her for that? She should share with us, right? Let her be fine, I will take classes for her." Sujatha complained in tears. "What will I say to Uttara? Both my girls are in this condition...."

The family, except Sanskar and Adarsh, had returned to Maheswari Mansion to freshen up after the horrendous night.

"Uttara" Sanskar called her out bringing her out of the trance. She looked at him and pointed her fingers.

A few steps away someone was laying; the source of blood. The dim light obstructed everyone's sight. As Sanskar, Laksh and Swara stepped closer, Sanskar froze.

Ragini was laying on her stomach ahead them, bathed in the warm red liquid, almost lifelessly.

"Ragini.." Sanskar and Swara screamed as they ran to her inviting the attention of the whole house.

Sanskar pulled Ragini into his hands, tapped and shook her impatiently, continuously pleading and chanting her name but all in vain. Swara also called her sister, mumbling incoherent things as Uttara sat there trapped in trauma.

As Laksh started their car, Sanskar lifted Ragini in his arms while her head and hands dangled in air.

"Swara" Laksh shook her bringing her out of trance. Swara had been blank since she found Ragini pooled in her own blood.

"Laksh, Ragu.. Woh... she.." Her words trailed off as she clutched the bundle in her hands tighter and sank her face into it; inhaling her sister's scent. She refused to place down Ragini's belongings from the time it was handed over to her. The helplessness of being unable to help her sister, to protect her from danger and to wipe of her insecurities was killing her. She could feel Ragini so close yet distant.

"Swara, rest for some time. Let me freshen up. We can go back to hospital, okay." Laksh caressed her forehead and went to bathroom.

As the door got latched, Swara got up and walked towards the steps lost in thoughts. The more steps she took, her pace increased and ran down the steps dashing into the young house help, Madhu. All she could do was stare him with tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Don't worry Ma'am. Ragini Ma'am will be fine soon." He said before excusing himself.

__________________________________

Hey, friends. Isn't it an ultra boring chapter? I felt so. Don't know why but I'm not feeling satisfied at all. I thought of updating it day yesterday but was disappointed..

Also, a big sorry for the medical science I mentioned there. Sachi, kaan pakatke utak baitak waala sorry. I'm a commerce being, so science is alien to me. Sorry.

And let's make it a little interesting🤪
You would have noticed the young house help.
Who will be he, according to you? Comment plzz

Thanks a lot for the read, votes and comments on last chapter. Do shower your words on this also.

Stay Safe and Happy!

Lots of Love

Sameera :)