Eight

Please do vote, comment and share this story on your profile with your followers.

Sometimes when you look at the sky in the evening it appears red or pink in colour, with this comes a sense of comfort. Sunsets bring sadness with them they are the end of a day but at times they are the beginning of a new one, it all lies in the perspective. A new day which could change your life for better or for worse but with how Layla's luck was going these days it would definitely be for the worse. In a matter of a few hours her life had changed completely.

It would be wrong to say that Layla had a sheltered upbringing, yes, her father provided them with the best but he also taught them the meaning of life. She had experienced certain ups and downs in her life. But the night after her twenty first birthday, perhaps won the award for 'weirdest night ever'. She could still not comprehend what was going on. Apparently, she was going to marry the Crown Prince. No, scratch that. She was 'ordered' to marry the Crown Prince of her country by the 'King' himself. Life could never be any less unpredictable than it was in this moment.

Noorein was wide awake in her bed and for the very first time she was speechless. She just did not know how to start the conversation. What would she do without her Aapi in her life? She decided to be the stronger one. She decided she would be there for her sister. She knocked on Layla's bedroom door and opened it after hearing a faint 'come in' from Layla.

Layla was not laying down in her bed or even sitting on it, instead she was pacing across her room. Noorein went and sat on her bed.

"Aapi, will you really have to marry, His Highness?"

Layla stopped her pacing abruptly and went to sit beside her sister.

"I don't think I have a choice, Noorie. They did not ask for my answer, you heard what His Majesty said, he ordered us to get married."

Noorien sighed. She had never felt more helpless in her life.

"Aapi, can a sleep here today?"

It had been years since Noorein last requested this. Ever since she was a pre-teen, she liked her privacy and no longer needed her elder sister. But today, Layla was not sure whether it was Noorein who needed her or the other way round.

"Of course, you can, Noor."

Layla got up to switch off the lights when they heard a knock on their door. Wali Baig came inside and sat with his daughters. Everyone was silent for what seemed like hours. And then he spoke, "Yesterday when His Majesty told me he would like to visit our home I did not in my wildest dreams imagine something like this to happen. I know you are young and ambitious but Layla you are given this opportunity by Allah. An opportunity with which you could help millions of people just like you have always dreamt to. Your mother was the most intelligent and hardworking person I have ever met. I am lucky to have had such a wonderful woman as a part of my life. She loved both of you dearly. You are so much like her. I see the best of her in you. I know right now you do not feel ready for such a big responsibility but I have full faith in you. Inshaallah you will succeed in this just like you have succeeded in everything else that you have done. Just know that no matter what, you are always going to find me there for you as your number one supporter."

Her father's belief in her, made a few of her worries disappear. His support meant the world to her. It made her strong and resilient.

"I will never let you down, Abba." Layla rested her head on her father's shoulders. The same shoulders which used to be her favourite seat in the entire house as a toddler. The same shoulder she turned to look for whenever she felt that the world had wronged her. Her superhero, her Abba.