Paper Balls and Detention

Cover created by ABrunetteGirl

Lilah

"You want to stay later? Why?" My dad questioned over the phone.

"I already told you. I'm auditioning for a play. It's only like a half hour." I explained for the second time.

I heard a sigh from the other end and then he mumbled an "ok."

I hung up before he could change his mind, and shut my locker, heading towards the auditorium.

It was now after school, and I could officially say that I had a pretty good first day. To be honest, I'd rather be here than at home with my grumpy father all the time.

Kayla and Logan had already left and said goodbye to me. I had no idea where any of my new friends were. I only knew that Isaac was in the auditorium.

When I got there he was already walking towards me.

"Good luck. You're gonna make an awesome Sharpay." He told me, with a heartwarming smile.

"Thanks, and you're going to make an awesome Ryan."

Ms. Linn told us to go wait in the hallway so she can bring students in one at a time.

While waiting in the hallway, I realized how nervous I really was. I'd never auditioned for anything before. I'd never even been on a stage. The nerves caused me to shake and others started to notice. I was getting weird looks and some concerned looks.

Issac, who was behind me in line, put his hand on my shoulder, which made me jump and turn around.

"Are you okay, Lilah?" His kind, blue eyes were filled with concern.

"Yeah." I nodded. "It's just that I've never auditioned for anything before so, I'm a little nervous."

"A little?" He laughed and grabbed my shaking hands. "You're gonna do fine. What's the worst that can happen?"

"I embarrass myself." I told him, avoiding his eyes. I heard him laugh.

"In front of who? Ms. Linn?" He asked.

I laughed a little, realizing he was right. It actually calmed me down a bit. I took my hands out of his and shook them out, letting out a deep breath.

"You got this." He told me.

"I've got this." I repeated, just as it was my turn to audition. He gave me a thumbs up as I headed into the empty auditorium and on to the stage.

I was still nervous at first, but I started reading the lines as she read back to me. As soon as I started, it was like I forgot I was even in an audition.

Like it was just me, in the empty room.

When we finished, I felt so proud of myself that I got through it without any voice cracks, or more shaking.

Then she asked me to sing. I guess this is the easiest part for me, since I do it a lot.

I imagined myself in my own room, with my guitar as I sang to her.

When I finish she clapped for me and had a proud look on her face.

"That was amazing, Delilah!" She had a huge smile on her face. "Can you call in the next auditioner?"

I nodded and left the room.

"How'd it go?" Isaac asked, as soon as I exited through the doors.

"It went amazing! I think I have a pretty good chance!" I smiled, and he hugged me.

"Okay, okay, go on. Good luck." I gave him a light shove towards the doors and waved goodbye. He gave me one last smile before shutting the doors behind him.