Ch.18 Gemini Blues

Chapter 18

The winter afternoon sun was shy as it crept into the study through the large windows on either side of the stone fireplace. Maya nested on the comfortable chair as she read the myth of the ophiotaurus. Using a highlighter, she marked off the parts she thought might be helpful and made notes on the different places mentioned in each version of the myths.

She knew from personal experiences myths were not the best source of information. Tobias discredited them left and right. But he did have to acknowledge that sometimes they were more like prophecies of what was to come. Maya combed through the stories, looking for anything that stood out. As she was on her third re-read of the same story, there was a knock on the open door.

"Hey, Psychopath," Heyder said. "I'm taking Fiza to return her. You want to come along?"

Maya glared at him for a few seconds. She wanted to push him out of the room and slam the door in his face, but there was also a part of her that grew bitter at the thought of Fiza and him being alone. The feeling was so strong in the pit of her stomach that she rose from her seat and nodded.

"Meet us downstairs," Heyder said before he turned to leave.

Maya turned back to the table and made sure all her work was neatly saved before she put a protection spell over it and locked the door. The last thing she needed was for Mirza to steal her hard work.

When she arrived downstairs, Maya's eyes landed on Heyder and Fiza standing by the door. The jinn had his brows furrowed as he focused on tucking Fiza's hair into her little wool hat. The girl stood still fixing her scarf as Heyder made sure she was properly bundled for the cold. Maya froze as she frowned at the scene in front of her. Sensing her eyes, Heyder looked up.

Don't start, he said through their link. She's leaving.

Maya didn't respond as she took the last few steps and arrived at the landing. Heyder moved away from Fiza and handed Maya a black coat. She took it and quickly put it on, leaving her hair a mess purposefully to see if Heyder would fix it.

"Ready?" Heyder asked the two girls in front of him as he raised his hand to summon a portal.

Maya frowned as she pulled her own hair out of her coat. Next to her Fiza frowned too, but for different reasons.

"We have to go through that?" She asked.

"Yes," Heyder said, turning to her. "It's almost a full day's journey to where we're going. Portal is the fastest. We'll be there in seconds."

"I.....it looks scary," Fiza pulled her coat tightly around herself. "Does it hurt? What if I get lost?"

Heyder frowned as he took a step closer to the girl, "It doesn't hurt. It's like stepping through curtains and I'll be right here beside you. I won't let you get lost."

"Where are we going anyways?" Maya asked as she rolled her eyes and buttoned her coat.

"Seattle, Washington," Heyder said looking up at her.

"Couldn't we go another way?" Fiza asked as she eyed the portal.

"No," Maya said. "We're wasting time. Now, let's go."

Heyder gave Fiza a small nod as he held his hand out for her. His eyes flickered to Maya who glared at him from the portal.

She's scared. Relax, he said.

Maya took a step aside and let Heyder and Fiza go through first. She counter to ten in her head to calm herself before she stepped through and appeared on the other side.