Chapter 49:

All the air escapes Junjie's lungs, as he stares at the merboy, feeling a deep sense of loath towards him. 

I shouldn't be surprised, he tells himself. I mean, it's been six months since I've seen Sera. Of course she's found someone else. 

Someone better. 

Someone more human. 

Unlike me, Junjie thinks grimly. All I've ever done was rip out her heart, and when I got the one chance to impress her, I failed in the worst way possible. 

Is it really being human, to break someone's heart? 

I didn't think so, Junjie muses. I'm not human. I'm a cold-hearted monster who deserves to— 

His gaze shifts upwards, towards the crown atop Sera's head. "They just need one human and then they'll take over the world," the mermaid expert, Dane, drawls. "Just one. That's how easy it is." 

"Then why haven't they tried to do anything yet?" Junjie asks, eyebrows furrowing. "If they're able to go on land for half an hour. . ." 

Dane shrugs. "No clue, to be honest. Anyways, just know this: once the crown is set, everything's over." 

But what happens if the crown is already set? 

"That's creepy," Sam mumbles, inching back. "Everyone's staring at me, and they all have the same colored eyes, which makes it even more creepy." 

Except Sera's. 

Her eyes are normal. 

In a flash, Junjie knows the answer. 

"The crown," he hisses in Sam's ear. "Destroy it." 

"What? Why?" Sam blurts. 

"Because—" 

"What are you two talking about?" Sera tilts her head, lips pouted. "It makes me feel like you boys are hiding a secret. Makes me feel a little left out." 

Junjie glares, advancing closer. 

"Look, Caspian," he spits out, ignoring Sera. "I don't know what the hell is your problem or why the hell you're not in your mermaid castle, but no one wants you here—" 

Caspian frowns. "And here I thought you said he was going to be a cool-headed, emotionless, observation-making detective who didn't let his emotions interfere with anything," says Caspian. 

"Hmm," Sera says, eyes twinkling. "Maybe he's jealous." 

Jealous? Me? 

"That sounds absolutely ridiculous," Junjie huffs, though he doesn't sound too sure of himself. "I'm not jealous." 

"He probably still has feelings for you," Caspian mocks. "Though he probably denies." 

Sera's lips curl upwards into a cruel smile. "Is that so?" she asks. "It's a pity because I don't have any feelings for him anymore." 

Junjie scowls, struggling to find the right words to say. 

When he can't think of anything, he blurts out, "Sera. This isn't you." 

All the coyness disappears from Sera's expression, as she glowers, fury lighting in her chocolate-brown eyes. 

"This isn't me, huh?" She stalks forward, gaze predatory. "And how would you know?" 

"We've been friends for—" 

"Friends!" Sera scorns. "We were never friends, Junjie. Don't you see? I was using you and you were using me the entire time. You never paid attention to me or gave a fish if I punched someone for you. You never paid attention until Sam told you too." 

Junjie shifts uncomfortably. 

"I honestly have no idea why I liked you," she sighs, ice-cold once more. "Maybe because you were a little cute if you liked that kind of thing. But the thing is, Caspian showed me the difference and unchained my heart. He let the light into me and I realized: why the hell am I still wrung up on a stupid boy who plays detective, in order to act cool and be popular? Why am I still mourning over an ass of a person, who's always such a jerk to me, ignores me, betrays me, uses me? That's right. Because I thought you were The One." 

"Dang," Sam says. 

"But now I've found someone better," Sera pooh-poohs. "Someone who understands me better than any human can." 

"Hello," Caspian says, waving. "Yes, that is me." 

"The thing is, I've moved on, Junjie. I don't need you anymore. I've found a new person, and I suggest you do the same." 

There's an irritating smirk on Caspian's face like he's enjoying watching Junjie get humiliated. 

"You and me?" Sera points at herself, before stabbing a finger in Junjie's direction. "I've already told you before and I'll tell you again: we don't go together." 

Junjie feels stunned. 

It's not that he doesn't know he's a jerk or that he hurt her. Yes, he very much knows that. It's just the fact that she's with that merboy. 

The merboy, with his conceding smirk and his fleeting gaze that says I'm better than you and I know it

She doesn't deserve him, Junjie thinks resentfully. Though I suppose anyone's honestly better than me. 

"Chocolate, is it just me, or does Junjie look a little like one of those pufferfishes?" Caspian mimics Junjie's shocked look, before smirking. "I cannot believe you fell for this human. How ridiculous and utterly lame." 

"Look," Sam fires back, suddenly standing straighter. "Stop being a meanie. And also, stop saying things like 'how ridiculous and utterly lame' because that just makes you sound weird." 

Caspian's eyebrows furrow together in confusion. "That is how I normally speak," he says. "Are you insulting me?" 

"And asking my darling boyfriend to stop being a meanie?" Sera thrashes back. "That's very cheap, coming from you." 

"Are you saying I'm a bully?" Sam sputters, indignantly. 

Sera raises an eyebrow. 

"Okay. Well." Sam crosses his arms. "I've changed." 

"You really haven't," she marvels. "Here I thought you'd act a little different, maybe have a little guilt that you and your friend were the one who made me go away. But I guess not." 

Sam looks at Junjie for help, but he's not paying attention anymore. 

Guilt fogs up Junjie's vision, choking the air out of him. 

"Humans are so overrated," scoffs Caspian. "I can't wait to destroy one." 

Sera smiles reassuringly. "And you will," she promises. "Soon." 

"Uh, are you guys going to try to invade our planet or something?" Sam squawks. "Because that's super rude." 

"Speaking of rudeness, I think we should destroy you both," Sera says, before her eyes darken. "Starting now.