thirty one | departure

"They're back!" Katara exclaimed as Appa landed, carrying Aang, Toph, Sokka, and Mari.

Mari looked up at the sky and watched in fear as fire Fire Nation troops began to near in on war blimps.

"It was all a trap. Azula knew we were coming and plotted out every move. We just gotta get to the beach as fast as we can. If we can make it to the submarines, maybe we can get away safely." Sokka proposed.

"They've got air power, but so do I" Aang exclaimed before drawing his glider. "I'm going to do what I can to stop them."

"Everyone, let's get back to the subs!" Shouted Sokka, leading the troops down to the shore.

Mari followed the others to the submarines in hopes of getting there in time.

"Try and find cover! I think we're about to see some bombs." Sokka called out once more while the airships neared in.

Mari and Toph bent rock overhead of themselves and a few other stragglers for protection as Aang and Katara joined them under the ceiling.

The rock began to crumble from impact and Toph bent rock columns to prop it up. Aang turned to the airships and watched as they continued to sail forward.

"Why aren't they turning around to attack us again?" Katara asked, noticing this as well.

"They're headed for the beach." Mari replied "They're gonna destroy the submarines!"

"How are we all going to escape!?" Sokka exclaimed.

"We're not." Said Hakoda

"Then our only choice is to stand and fight. We have the Avatar, we could still win." Sokka said.

"Yes, with the Avatar, we could still win. But on another day. You kids have to leave. You have to escape on Appa together."

"What!" Katara exclaimed. "We can't leave you behind. We won't leave anyone behind."

"You're our only chance in the long run. You and Sokka have to get Aang somewhere safe. It's the only way to keep hope alive

"The youngest of the group should go with you." A warrior spoke up from behind Hakoda. "The adults will stay behind and surrender. We'll be prisoners, but we'll all survive this battle."

"I've got some experience with the fire nation prisons. It's not going to be easy, but we'll get by." Spoke a man

"They're at the beach already!" Shouted Sokka. The group turned around, watching the airships drop bombs on the shore, destroying the submarines.

Toph and Mari began to help the youngest out of the invasion group onto Appa using stairways of earth to guide them onto his saddle. As the last of the group we're situated on the Sky Bison, Mari looked at the crowd of adults guiltily. She felt she should stay behind, make room for one more person. After all, she had been helping Zuko hunt down these people for most of the summer.

Just as she was about to get off Appa and stay behind, Toph grabbed her hand. "I know you feel guilty, but we need all the strong benders we can get. If it weren't for you and Iroh, Katara and Aang probably wouldn't be here right now. Katara, who had just climbed on top of Appa nodded in agreement at Toph's words.

Mari looked a way from Toph she back at the adults. Taking a deep breath, she looked back at the young earth bender and nodded, sitting down on Appa's saddle.

"Thank you all for being so brave and strong." Aang spoke up. "I'm going to make this up to you." He said before sitting back down, and sending Appa flying off.