˗ˋ 34

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SHE FINISHES HER PROJECT

. . .

The Thursday night was soon approaching, and whole school was feeling more and more excited for Christmas. Even those who were remaining at school felt it, prompted by the massive Christmas tree and the hallways decorated in the many decorations.

James for one, loved Christmas. He loved the food, he loved the aura, he loved presents - he just loved everything. But this Christmas, he mostly wanted to make sure Tiger was happy, knowing she most likely wasn't looking forward to spending the amount of time with her parents that she would be.

So he wanted to spread the Christmas joy that he felt - in an attempt to cheer her up, of course. But since the day they had recieved the invitations to the Slug Club Christmas party, and James's failed attempt to ask her to it, Tiger had barely been around.

There was no question to where she was - James could go right now if he wanted. She had spent every spare moment she had in that abandoned classroom, working on the dress.

Tiger would even go so far as to bring pieces of the material into class, and James would watch as she skillfully pulled the needle and silver thread through it, embroidering tiny stars.

She hadn't been caught yet, and because of this, James knew she wouldn't give it up. But bearing in mind that if it was him doing it, he would do the same, he kept his mouth shut.

Admittedly, he missed Tiger. She was still there, but they had basically been joint at the hip since the Howell girl started at the school. And he missed her company.

So after spending majority of the afternoon alone, Sirius and Remus being off somewhere, and Peter was trying to get most of his homework done in the library so he didn't have to do it when he was abroad, James decided he would go and see if he could sit with Tiger for a bit.

He wasn't even looking for conversation, or a laugh or even help with homework or a prank. James just liked to be in the company of others. He always had done. There was something about being alone which he didn't like.

James was about to leave when he realised he should probably tidy up, and at a speed he had only ever achieved whilst playing Quidditch, the Potter boy quickly put away the broomstick servicing kit away, double checking that he had closed the pot of polish.

After that, he quickly made his way down the winding wooden stairs, and gently pushed his way through the excited crowds of younger years who were giggling over exchanging Secret Santa gifts.

He walked the short distance to the somewhat empty classroom in record time, and before entering, he peered in through the small glass pane in the top of the door.

Seeing the light from the usual corner, James quickly knocked on the door, twisting the handle and pushing it open. "James?" Tiger asked, as the boy entered.

The girl moved quicker than anything James had seen, and suddenly Tiger was pushing the boy as gently as she could out of the classroom, pulling the door closed behind her and holding the handle.

"What?" James looked confused, staring down at Tiger, who had one hand tightly wrapped around the door handle and the other on his chest, making sure he was a good distance away from the door.

"You can't see it." Tiger said, and James, still confused, continued to stare at her. "The dress. You can't see it yet."

"Why not?" James asked, taking a step back and letting Tiger's hand fall to herside, although one stayed holding the door closed.

"Because." Tiger said, then a flash of laughter passed across her face as she giggled, and a smile bloomed, reflecting in her eyes. "I want it to be a surprise."

"But I've seen you make a lot of it." James pouted, and as he was doing so, Tiger took his hands and pulled him down the corridor, pulling him backwards.

"There, now there's no threat of you getting in." She said. "You might have seen me make most of the dress, but over the past couple days I've added a lot and changed a few things." Tiger smiled.

"You're definitely going to have it finished for tonight?" James asked, and Tiger nodded, looking extremely excited.

"I'm just trying to add a little extra volume to the skirt." She replied. "A few finishing touches. I have to wait for things for the shoes and then get everything back to the dorm. Now off you go." Tiger ushered James away, continuously promising him she would be wearing everything that night.

And indeed she would be, as James would find out as he waited in the common room, dressed in a lot fancier clothes then he was used to ( courtesy to his mum, who would be the only person to get the dress robes to him at the very last minute ).

The girls had been locked up in their dorm for the best part of three hours. Both Lily and Tiger was attending, and the other two girls were no doubtedly hurrying around and helping them.

It was the first time Tiger was trying on the dress, and despite making it on a mannequin of herself, there were a couple adjustments, here and there.

But the dress fit perfectly otherwise, and the shoes were the right size. Marlene and Lydia happily did their hair and makeup, styling it perfectly.

Lily was wearing a emerald green dress, hair curled and set in a updo, her makeup a lot more dark and obvious than Tiger's. Tiger's purple-is hair was somewhat wavy, with a few long, thin plaits through out her hair. The makeup was simple, with a little glitter here and there.

But the focus was on the dress, which Tiger had spent so long making. And it was beautiful. The under-dress, which reached mid-thigh, was made out of lilac silk, and then various petticoats made of mesh over it - layered pastel pink and blue.

The skirt which was primarily visible, and also covered Tiger's torso, was silver, with stars of all different sizes embroidered over it. It would be too much for some people, but for Tiger, it just seemed like her.

Upon seeing it, James was speechless. Whilst he and Tiger weren't attending as a date, he had agreed to be her and Lily's escort for the evening, seeing as he and Lily had made up and well him and Tiger were him and Tiger.

"You look.. wow." James managed to get out, his eyes wide and a gentle blush spreading across his cheeks. "It's perfect."

"And it's makes people like you blush. Perfect." Tiger agreed, a cheeky sort of smile settling on her face as she looked up at the Potter boy. "Lily's just coming now, then we can go."

"Yes." James agreed, and Lily appeared at the bottom of the stairs. The trio set off for the party, two of them having no idea where the night would lead them.

And what a night it would turn out to be.