XXIV

The group dynamic was very strange after yesterday's events. 

There had been times when Mick and Mike had fallen out, but never before had the group been split up like this. If they were arguing, they still both remained in our spot and had spoken to all of us, just not each other. 

With Ava and Oscar, it was different.

Our fears that Oscar had upset Ava were confirmed this morning when Ava walked straight past our sofa, without so much as a glance in our direction. That sign alone made it clear that this wasn't some overnight argument. 

As soon as she did that, all of our jaws hit the floor. Oscar kept his eyes on his lap, refusing to look up at the scene unfolding in front of him. I could hardly believe it- Ava had actually refused to sit with us. Whatever Oscar did to upset her, it must be pretty serious. 

An uncomfortable feeling settled in my stomach as Ava strode over to a table full of girls, who immediately started to coo over her and ask if she was okay. I had never seen Ava taking to these girls, but I guess they must be close since they were acting like they were life long friends. I recognised a few of them from past sexual encounters, which made me cringe a little- it really was a small Sixth Form. 

"Since when did she hang around with those girls?" Mike voiced what we were all thinking, finally breaking the stunned silence that we had all fallen into. 

"I haven't ever seen her with them." Oscar muttered bitterly, surprising me. 

If even Oscar didn't know that she hung out with them, then surely they can't be that close? I highly doubt that she'd managed to made those friends overnight, but that's what it feels like. 

"What happened between you guys?" Heather asked timidly, all of us leaning in- anticipating the response. 

"I really don't want to talk about it." Oscar grunted, staring at the floor intently again.

I shot Heather a look that told her to give him some space and we all settled back into silence, not sure what to talk about. It felt strange with Ava gone- our group had always been the seven of us. Now that Ava was avoiding us, the whole group balance was off. 

"At least people aren't staring at Cam anymore." Mick chirped, his tactful change of subject was certainly uncharacteristic. 

"You spoke to Xavier?" Heather guessed, to which I nodded. 

I had asked Xavier to tell them to chill it and he was deeply apologetic about the whole thing. He seemed embarrassed that I was made to feel awkward, which in turn embarrassed me for embarrassing him... Feelings are hard. 

I had cooked for the both of us last night, so we were just chilling in the kitchen and talking. I was getting to know more about him while living there and we had quite a lot in common. He made me laugh a lot, but it was still a little awkward. He had been called for an emergency meeting after dinner and hadn't come back to the house until the early hours of the morning. 

He'd joined me for a quick chat and cigarette up on the balcony before bed, since I was already wide awake and out there, but it wasn't for long. He still insisted on sleeping in the guest room, despite me not sleeping at night. He was adamant that his bed be there for me in case I felt sleepy. I was feeling a little light headed today from not sleeping for a while now, but it wasn't anything unusual. The feeling was more familiar to me than the tingles I got whenever Xavier touched me. 

"Thank god for that. I was getting tired of whispering constantly so that they didn't hear us talking shit." Heather grinned.

I obviously couldn't tell Heather that they absolutely still could hear every word she said, but I was hyper aware of the fact. They had heightened wolf senses or whatever, so I didn't trust them. For the first time in years, I had to keep my mouth from running. Maybe that's how Dug found out?