Chapter 50:

It's like fear snatched onto Junjie's body, whipping out any signs of reasonable thoughts. 

"Wait," Junjie says. 

"What?" Caspian snaps, looking slightly irritated that his dramatic moment is ruined. 

"Can't we talk things over?" asks Junjie, giving Sera a pleading look. "Reason things out, make a truce?" 

"Listen now." Caspian gives a dangerous smile. "You broke her heart. You know, she was crying when she came to me. It almost took my self-restraint not to go up on land and punch your bloody face." 

Junjie freezes, before glowering. "Well, I don't know who you're supposed to be," he says, trying for a snotty look. "But you don't look like much—" 

"I am Caspian," booms the merboy. "Prince of the ocean and soon-to-be king of the sea. Bearer and protector of the trident and the crown, as well as the suitor of Chocolate. I was chosen, by my father, to bear the weight of the throne — and I take being a soon-to-be king seriously!" 

Junjie blinks. 

"That's a bit of a mouthful, don't you think?" pipes up Sam. "Like, no offense or anything. You got the intimating part right, but there's just something off about it." 

Caspian's nostrils flare, as he gnashes his teeth together. 

"Well, if there's something off about it, why don't you try making a whole title?" he sneers back. 

"Maybe you should add a 'you should fear me, for I will destroy you' just for dramatic effects," Sam suggests. 

"Nah, bruh," says one of the mermen in the back. "That sounds really lame. Like, you know, you're trying too hard to be cool—" 

"Shut up, you and you and you and you!" Sera spits back, stabbing a finger in the merman's direction. "We have a mission and you people are talking about titles right now? Destroy them. Now." 

And then the merpeople leap out of the water, lips curved into snarls.

Junjie exhales, knowing he's going to die— 

Something glimmers under the pale moonlight, like a beacon of hope. 

The crown, his instincts whisper. Get the crown and destroy it. . . 

The merman closest to him starts moving with inhuman speed, tail morphing into legs, as he slams down the spear. 

Junjie just barely dodges him, before sprinting towards Sera. 

"Sera!" he yells. "You aren't being yourself!" 

"Oh, I'm not?" Sera makes a face of mock-pity. "Well, too bad. Because I like this new self." 

Junjie tries to snatch at her crown, but she ducks, his hand just grazing her soft hair. 

"Come on," he pleads again, moving towards Sera. "Do you really want to live life like a murderer?" 

Sera cocks her head. "Let me tell you something," she says, voice dripping with venom. "Caspian's going to turn me into a real mermaid and then I won't have to deal with you stupid humans, who make so many mistakes. All I have to do is make a sacrifice." 

Junjie stares at her, shocked. 

"And you wanna know who the sacrifice is?" Sera leers, baring her teeth. "You are." 

Oh, he thinks. That's not good. 

"All my life, I had to witness pain — and I withstood those events with a freaking smile. You know what? I'm tired! Tired and sick of this stupid life, where everyone thinks they can stomp all over me! People like Sam! People like Mi Cha! People like you! All I wanted was to be loved, to be cared for, but what did I get? Oh yes, my mother hates me, my dad found a new love, I get bullied every single fishing day and then, the worse part, you betrayed and used me and told me you didn't even care. You think that's what I wanted when I got this life?" 

Sera's eyes turn to daggers. 

"I'm sorry," she says. "But tonight, you're going to die." 

Sera slowly takes out a silver dagger, fresh tears glittering in her eyes. "He told me I had to be the one who killed," she whispers feverishly. "To be the one who killed the person I loved." 

"Sera—" Junjie chokes out, backing away. "Please—don't—" 

"Junjie saying 'please'?" Sera smiles, though there's nothing genuine about it. "That's a first. But I suppose when you're about to die, it's better to plead. Any last words, Junjie?" 

Junjie gazes up at her, full of heartbreak, so broken, so beautiful. . . 

"Yeah," he says, taking a deep breath. "I love you." 

Then he feigns to the right, startling Sera, before launching to her left and snatching her crown from her head. 

"I have no idea how this works," he says, before breaking the crown in half. "But I'm guessing if I break this, something will happen." 

Sera's eyes widen. "No—" she shrieks, voice echoing through the harbor. "My crown—" 

Light brushes across Junjie's vision and he gasps, the air swooping out of his lungs. 

What the hell just happened— 

Then he knows. 

Oh. 

"Sera," he says, voice cracking. "Give me that dagger." 

Sera glares at Junjie coldly. "I know what you're trying to do," she sneers. "It's not going to work. You're not going to kill yourself to make me human again. Never. I won't let you." 

"Oh really?" Junjie challenges. 

"Yes," Sera says confidently. 

"Well, think again, because I brought my own knives." 

Without thought, Junjie whips out a knife— 

. . . before plunging it into his chest. 

Pain explodes everywhere, scarlet-blood covering his vision and Junjie bites his lip, trying to keep from screaming. 

I'm dying. . .