12

Kitty's p.o.v

"Are you... is this for real? Are you being serious right now?" Chris' eyes held a glimmer of hope. "What-why did you change your mind?"

I picked up the letter and handed it to him, watching his facial expressions change as he read it. Confusion. Anger. Fear. Understanding. He knew that this was the only way to insure Cason didn't get any sort of custody to Jaylee.

"I don't know what to do boss. An adoption is going to take too long and we technically have to get Cason's consent to do it. It's illegal for you to sign the birth certificate since you aren't her biological father, but even then it takes at least a month for it to be revised in the system."

"He can't get rights to her. He's horrible." I nodded, trying to think of any possible way to avoid this. Court was hell, and I didn't want Jay to have to experience that before she even turns three. She deserves better. An idea began forming in my head, and I turned to Chris, looking at him as if he held all the answers.

"If I could get some sort of case going on all of the illegal things he's involved in... could that delay our case? At least long enough for us to figure out what we need to do?" 

"That could work, but Kitty... are you ready for that?" No, I don't think I'd ever be comfortable with telling people all the shit I went through, but that doesn't matter.

"I have to be."

~~~~

*September 29*

"All rise." I stood from my seat, wiping my sweaty palms on the skirt of my dress. This was the moment where I found out if I had created a substantial enough case for the judge to delay the custody hearing. Her honor herself walked into the courtroom soon after the cop spoke, the calm, collected mask all judges wear sculpted on her face.

"We are here to discuss the Hughes v Whitaker custody battle." Everybody sat back down when she spoke, my heart palpitating when I saw her pick up the paper that no doubt held my statement. "Miss Hughes, are these claims true?"

"Yes your honor, every word of them." I could feel Cason's eyes burning a hole into my skull, his mind probably racing with the amount of illegal things I could sell him out for.

"And is it true that you are working to establish legal fatherhood to a man that is neither your daughter's legal father nor your husband?"

"That is also correct, your honor." Cason scoffed in disbelief while she looked over the statement one more time.

"In light of these claims it is my rule that we look further into the defendant. Case dismissed until further investigation has been performed." I'd never been happier to hear the sound of a gavel smacking the judges desk. 

~~~~~

*Three days later*

"Hello Miss Hughes, Mr. Evans, how are you both today?" Chris and I were currently sitting across from a child custody attorney.

"We're pretty good, all things considered." Chris answered for us. I was so nervous it had become hard for me to form coherent sentences.

"That's wonderful. My name is Holly Jackson, and I specialize in circumstances like the one you're describing. I do have some questions for clarification purposes, is that okay?" We glanced at each other before nodding our consent. "Perfect. First question, how long have you two been seeing each other?"

"Um, I don't... we've known each other for about five months now." How are you supposed to explain that you live together and your child calls him daddy, but you aren't technically labeled? It's harder than one might think.