T H I R T Y S E V E N

THIRTY-SEVEN : TREAT & ALMOST KISSES

AURELIA RAYMOND'S POV

I COULD HAVE NEVER known that Theodore would remember my birthday because honestly, I didn't. Yesterday, he took me for a long drive and I remember being in the car till almost two in the morning. If you are wondering what happened during that, I'd say nothing. We didn't exchange a single verse, just from a few eye contacts and tender smiles which didn't bloom to the most beautiful flowers yet but retained their own delicacy with a touch of happiness and a promise to bloom. 

Since it was my birthday yesterday, I decided to treat Theodore as compensation for his revolutionary self and being my support during my raw, unsettling days. Actually, this was Rohanna's idea to learn something new to get my mind off Aria's death and move on with life. She informed me about what was Theodore's favorite dish - buttery white wine sauce pasta. It wasn't hard to sum one and one together.

 We went to Walmart to get some ingredients and on the way back, a red silk dress caught my attention. It was a very ordinary bodycon, knee-length dress but it had my heart at first sight.

 Later, Rohanna gifted me that exact same dress to wear tonight. She said that 'that smile made your eyes shine'. It was spaghetti strapped and I kind of felt exposed so I shrugged over a long brown overcoat of my own. 

Rohanna and I made the dish, though I just cut the vegetables and mixed the sauces while she added the ingredients in definite proportions. She and Christian had to go for movies with other friends so she left as soon as the dish was prepared. I cleaned the kitchen after that and set the dinner table with cutlery and napkins. 

Now, I was just waiting for Theodore to come home. While waiting for him on the dinner table, I recalled how Rohanna teased me when I told her that I was up for her idea - to surprise Theodore by preparing dinner. She said 'Theo will go bald out of happiness after having the food prepared by you for the very first time'. Her exact words. Though I didn't tell her about the drive we went for last night. It was like a little secret between us, covert and soulful.

The knob twisted and Theodore entered. I took a deep breath to keep in bay the sudden excitement and rise in the drumming of my heart. 

"Hey, how was your day?"

Yes, play cool. Deep breaths. You got this. I chanted to myself.

"Hey," he looked at my direction from the bottom of the stairs as he loosened his tie with one hand. He looked good, I had to admit. "Work was less compared to other days. We signed the deal with the American clients regarding the establishment of maple syrup company."

"Oh god, that's amazing. Come let's have dinner." I proposed with a lightened up face. He seemed to be in a good mood and he was behaving friendly to my surprise. It was still hard to get this thought wrapped around my head that he had become better and this wasn't changing anytime soon or even later.

"About that, actually the guys ended up ordering pizzas to celebrate so I'm full. Since you ordered so you eat, I'll go freshen up." He smiled apologetically. It was sincere but still my heart broke.

"Hmm," I nodded, looking away.

 I prepared it myself. I inserted it in my mind.

I stood up to put away the dishes with a heavy heart. He walked upstairs to his room. My face visibly fell and I turned over the plates, not having an appetite to eat anymore. I felt horrible. The sum-up of cleaning, shopping, and making dinner ended up being zero. Wonderful.

He didn't even notice that I dressed up. 

I put the canisters filled with food in the fridge and went to his room.