Chapter 33

I was quite as I watched the various amounts of women and men enter our house. Official bundles of papers held snug under each social worker's armvas they crouched down to a designated child that that was assigned to them at moment of their loss of family. I pulled my jacket tighter around my shoulders and pulled my knees higher up on the steps, watching in pain as Jason's bottom lip quivered in fear and confusion. He was so young; he probably didn't understand what was happening.

And I couldn't help but feel it was all my fault.

I squeezed my eyes shut, rubbing my temples and trying to neglect the swooping memories.

"Where are you bringing Hellen?" I asked frantically, staring wide-eyed at the policewoman in front of me.

She sighed, bringing her hands to her hips. "Miss, I'm going to have to ask you calm down."

I felt Nathaniel's hands reach my shoulders as he whispered into my ear. "Lindsey, back up a bit."

Frustration screamed inside of me, but I did as suggested and stepped back slightly. The woman seemed to drop her hitched shoulders a fraction and I separated the condensed space between us.

"What is going to happen to Hellen?" I asked again, my tone softening and my gaze flickering to the living room where the children sat.

She sighed, blinking. "Ms. O'brier will be transported to the police station, where our negotiators will question and interrogate her."

I nodded. "Okay, then what will happen to our house?"

She eyed the living room. "I'm not reputed to give you any information-"

"Please." I inturuppted, begging with my eyes.

After many seconds of contemplation, she nodded and motioned to the kitchen.

Nathaniel and I did as told and we joined in a circle.

"Your foster home will be revoked of it's authority, and every child will be transported to another house. Separately." She explained, pressing her lips together.

"Ms. Garland?" A man dressed in a suit tapped my shoulder, awakening me from my trance.

"Yes?" I asked, standing up.

"Are you okay?" He asked, leaning closer.

My lips parted. No. "Yes. Where is Andrew?"

Andrew, my assigned social worker, was nowhere present.

"I will be taking you to him. He is meeting us at The Town Hall." He informed me, placing a hand on my back and guiding me to the door.

I stopped. "The Town Hall? On 43rd street?"

He nodded.

"Why are we going there?"

He smiled and continued to the door. "You'll see."

~~~~~~~~

"Lindsey." Andrew walked toward me, his arms outstretched.

I returned a small hug and gave him a questionable eyebrow. "Why am I here?"

"Follow me." Andrew said, walking across the marble-based floor.

I did and entered a conference-like room. Something jumped in my stomach as I faced Lucy and David.

They were in deep discussion with another man, papers laid out on the table. Andrew brought me to them and sat me down across from the adults.

"Hi, sweetie." Lucy reached for my hand and squeezed.