Chapter 29

"We found this inside the griever that Ame caught between the closing sector." Thomas told as Newt rolled the device around the palms of his hands.

"These are the same letter we get in our supplies and that're on the signs out in the maze." Newt said looking up to him with squinted eyes.

"Wait, these letters are out in the maze, too?" I asked, looking between Minho and Newt.

"They're on big metal signs all 'round the maze. How did you not notice them?" Minho asked with crossed arms.

"I'm sorry but I was a little busy running for my life the first time in the maze." I said with raised eyebrows, sass radiating off of my figure.

"I haven't noticed them either," Thomas muttered before shaking his head and speaking louder, "Whoever put us here obviously made the grievers. This is the first real clue you've had in-over two years. Right, Minho?"

Minho nodded but remained silent as he continued to stare at the strange object in Newt's hands.

Obviously, Minho wasn't going to speak and someone needed to side with Thomas, so I spoke up, "Newt...we have to go back out there. We found one clue already...how many others until we're home free?"

Newt slowly looked up to me making eye contact with me for the first time since we told him we were out in the maze. I didn't care if he was angry at me at that moment. This metal thing was the first clue to our homes. Home.

"Who knows where this might lead us?" Thomas said looking at Newt.

Newt looked at all six of us, studying our expression and our stances in process. Then he wheeled his attention to Thomas. He stared at him with pursed lips, the rest of his face remaining clear of any emotion.

"What's goin' on?! Are you gonna tell us anythin'?! Or are you gonna hide that from us, too?!" A voice shouted from the group behind us.

We turned around, squinting as the sun caught our eyes. Once our eyes finally adjusted, I caught sight of the boy who called at us. He was at the front of the suspicious group of Gladers. Many looked angry, but most were curious as to what we found in the maze.

I recognized the boy as one Gally's friends. He was a Builder. He had ashy blonde hair and hazel eyes. He was tanned and probably would've seemed attractive if he didn't have a scowl on his face. I think his name was Billy.

Newt sighed before walking over towards the Gladers. He shuffled his way into the centre, the Gladers instantly forming around him. "Yes, it's true. Our two Greenies went back out into the maze-"

The crowd bursted out into a frenzy. Well, only a few. A lot were against the idea of Thomas and I being out in the maze. Many were scared of what we would find in the maze. And the rest encouraged us.

"That's enough!" Newt silenced them, he's deep voice echoing through Glade. My eyes widened as the cheeks of my face became crimson.

His voice. I thought, gawking at the boy who had kissed me only the day before. The thought made me blushing even more, if that was possible.

"What's going t'happen t'them?!" Billy screamed over the loud group of Gladers.

"What'd you say, shank?" Newt scowled, his eyebrows furrowing as he did his best to contain his anger.

"They broke a rule? Why do they get off the hook?" A boy I recognized as Scott, another one of Gally's friends, shouted.

A series of Gladers agreed, while those the rest shook there heads. Several began shouting and screaming out at them, telling them how we saved Alby's life. It was like good meets bad. The ones on our side began screaming and pointing fingers at those who disagreed and disapproved of Thomas and I.