Chapter 11

When I stepped out into the hallway it took me a couple of seconds to figure out where to go. Yesterday I hadn’t even noticed how huge the apartment was, with its multiple corridors and what felt like hundreds of doors.

I walked past the huge spiral staircase and suddenly all the nervousness was back. Maybe they had just been so nice to me yesterday because I had looked so shaken up?

There was no going back though, because I had already reached the entrance to the living room which was located just across from the hallway I was standing in.

Mrs Black who was sitting on a ginormous leather couch surrounded by a huge pile of pillows in every size and color, reading a magazine, lifted her head and started smiling when she saw me.

I cleared my throat. “Good morning.”, I mumbled, a little uncomfortable and tucked at my sleeves. Mrs Black laughed a little.

“It is almost 3 p.m.”, she replied but then added: “But I am glad that you slept so well. You really needed a proper rest after that terrible flight, Damien told us you weren’t feeling well. And I cannot imagine that your stay at the hospital was very resting either.”

Her soothing voice sounded even more concerned and I flushed a little under her gaze, while she looked at me.

He had told them about me throwing up for 40 minutes straight, while crying and sitting on the floor.

Great. Just great.

I had always been terrible at making a good first impression.

She smiled again.

“There is really nothing you would need to feel ashamed for, dear. We are just all glad you are feeling better. Graham took Charlie to the park, in case you were wondering, but you don’t need to worry, I just talked to him on the phone, Charlie is doing great.
And Clary is with them too. Damien needed to go to work to take care of something. I am sure it could have waited a little longer, but when it comes to the company he is unfortunately just like his father.”, she sighed and put the magazine that she was reading down beside her, and I nodded, relieved to hear that he was safe.

Of course, I had seen how great Damien had taken care of Charlie the last few days. He hadn’t ever left his side, except for when I was around of course. He wouldn’t have left if he had thought anything could happen to him here. But as a mother you always worried about your child, no matter what.

“I really appreciate that. I am sure Charlie will love it here. And I just wanted to say thank you for taking us in and letting me stay here over night. I would have just taken a hotel room but-” Mrs Black started shaking her head.

“Don’t be ridiculous, sweetheart. There is no way we would have let you sleep anywhere else in your condition and you are welcome to stay as long as you want. Our home is your home too. It’s nice to have some guests over. Usually it’s really quiet here.”, she said with a wide smile and with every word she said I felt more and more guilty for keeping Charlie from her.