Application

As soon as Keefe entered the house he was met with the screeching voices of his parents. Sighing internally, he headed toward the common room.

"Keefe!" his mother barked when she noticed him. 

Gisela was considered beautiful, if you didn't know of her grotesque soul. She had pale peach skin and blonde hair, which was always kept in  some sort of intricate up-do. She was well versed in foreign language, and had a near perfect memory. Her ice blue eyes, the same shade as her son's, held a satisfaction that filled Keefe with trepidation. He knew from experience that whenever his mother was plotting and excited everyone should be scared. 

"Mother." he answered warily.

"The Princess is holding her selection. You will be entering it, I heard the monthly stipend is heavy. Not to mention the status boost we would receive if you were king." she spoke. Shocking Keefe into momentary silence. His family never had anything good to say about the new royals and now they wanted him to marry one! Unbidden, shining brown eyes with gold flecks flashed through his mind. Her beautiful voice engrained in his memory.

He quickly regained his composure and snorted, "That's a sick joke, I'm not entering a marriage competition of someone I've never met! Plus, no offense, but I'm not really into the whole 'being responsible for a kingdom' thing."

"No need to worry, they'll whip you into shape at the palace." his mother offhandedly remarked, waving off his concerns.

"That's not the point, I just don't want to. You can't force me." Keefe responded.

"Have you no respect boy!" His father cut in. 

Cassius was a taller man with  with blonde, slicked-back hair and annoyingly neat attire. Before King Bronte was dethroned, he had trained in the castle as a counselor and therapist. He met Gisela there, the daughter of the royal healer. They had a brief courting and were married within two months of knowing one another. The story had confused Keefe to no end growing up, because it seemed there was no love lost between the two of them. Now that he was older he realized it must have been a marriage of convenience between two higher ranked citizens. 

At the moment, his father held the same satisfied gaze as his mother. Both enticed by the promise of wealth and riches.

"Son, you know we only want whats best for you." Gisela said in a sickly sweet voice. Keefe didn't buy that for a second, they wanted what was best for them.

"Then I don't want to be in the selection! It's as simple as that. I don't want to leave town. I don't want to compete to marry someone I've never met. We're doing just fine right now, so it isn't even necessary!" Keefe ranted.

Her act disappeared at this declaration. "You will be entering. Otherwise we'll be sending you to apprentice for Lord Fintan Pyren." 

Lord Fintan Pyren had been a close confidante of King Bronte. His father Cassius had also worked closely with the lord, helping with his criminal interrogations. Fintan was one of the most powerful men in Eternalia. Renowned for his cunning and intelligence, their had been no proof of his treachery. So while Bronte and his minions were imprisoned, the lord had went on his merry way. 

Fintan was a master of fire. He had based Eternalia's most common light system, Balefire, after his knowledge of the flames. The lord had taken on several apprentices over the years, and rumors had started circulating after the 'disappearances' of some of them. Many considered it a death sentence.

Keefe had never seen Lord Fintan, but he had heard  tales of his slender features, said to come off as deceivingly fragile. With misleading sky blue eyes and messy blond hair, you could never tell what he was thinking.

Realizing his predicament, Keefe glared. 

"Fine." Storming away from his parents, he slammed the door of his room.

"Keefe!" his father growled. Keefe listened to the feet stomping towards his room. His father shoved open the door. Keefe noticed he now held a stark white scroll and quill in his hand. 

"Fill this out." he commanded, exiting just as loud as he had entered.

Setting down the writing utensils on his desk, Keefe collapsed on his bed with a deep exhale. He couldn't believe he was about to enter the selection. Hadn't he thought just a hour earlier how he felt horrible for the princess, having to chose who she wanted to marry out of thirty-five strange men. Of course, Keefe though perking up, the chances of me being chosen as a selected are slim to none. 

With that thought in his head, Keefe stood up and walked over to his desk. Unrolling the scroll, he looked at the bold markings at the top of the page, which read;

Selection Application

Name: Keefe Sencen

Age: Twenty

Caste: Five

Province: Candleshade

Eye Color: Ice Blue

Hair Color: Blonde

Height: 6.5

Other Physical Features: Broad shoulders. Lean, slim frame. Scar under ribs. Muscle tone. Long and dark eyelashes.

Talents: Artist, understanding of emotion (empath), mimicry, photographic memory, epic pranks

Languages: English, Enlightened Language, Greek, French

Parent or Guardian: Cassius and Gisela Sencen

Siblings: None

Allergies and/or Medical Issues: None Known

Dream Career: Palace Artisan

Extra Facts: Humorous and great hair

Keefe finished off the form with a signature. With a steady chant of 'there's no way I'll get in' running through his mind, he walked downstairs.

"I filled it out." he stated as he walked by his parents.

Gisela responded, "Perfect, tomorrow I'll take you for the picture." 

Keefe nodded in response, and went outside to place the letter in the mailbox. He dropped it in, and sighed. Nothing to do but wait now.