Chapter 11

Taeil drove Ayeon home like he had promised. Unlike the other Phoenixes she had seen, Taeil owned a simple black car instead of a motorcycle.

The car ride was quiet, save for the radio and Taeil's humming.

"Why don't you stay with the Phoenixes?" Ayeon asked, breaking the silence.

"Not really my thing." Taeil answered.

"Is that why you don't wear the jacket?" Ayeon asked. Taeil shrugged.

"It's not like I'm not a phoenix anymore. I have the tattoo and the jacket's in the back. I just live away but I still go back when they need me." Taeil told her.

"I see." Ayeon said, just as they started approaching her building.

"Do you live alone?" Taeil asked. Ayeon shook her head.

"I live with my roommate." Ayeon told him as he parked. "Wait, you can just drop me off."

Taeil shook his head. "Your bag is heavy, I don't want you carrying it with your wrists still bandaged."

Minhyung would freak if he knew I was with a phoenix... But I guess it's fine since he's not wearing his jacket anyways.

"Okay, fine." Ayeon said, getting out of the car. Taeil grabbed her bag and quickly followed, the two of them making their way up to her apartment.

When she opened the doors, she saw Minhyung's shoes there, signalling that he was home.

"I can take it from here." Ayeon said but Taeil held tightly to her bag.

"I'll bring it in, just tell me where to put it." Taeil replied.

"You can just place it on one of the dinning room chairs." Ayeon said, pointing to a chair. Taeil entered the house, placing her bag where she had asked.

"Ayeon, is that you? I didn't hear you last night and was getting worried- oh."

Minhyung had exited the washroom to meet Taeil standing by the dinning table. The two males locked eyes for a moment before Minhyung's eyes fell to her bandaged wrists.

"What happened?" Minhyung asked, narrowing his eyes at her.

"I-"

"Some gangster wannabes. I found her and brought her to my place to help her with her wounds. That's all." Taeil said, cutting her off. Minhyung glanced at Taeil.

"Alright." Minhyung said, sending a deathly look to Taeil, one that Ayeon had never seen before. Minhyung looked intimidating, almost like he was ready to kill.

"I was just helping Ayeon. Just pretend that I was never here." Taeil said turning around to look at Ayeon. "I'll be leaving now, it was nice to meet you."

"You too." Ayeon said as Taeil left the apartment, closing the door behind him. Ayeon was about to head to her room but Minhyung stopped her.

"Next time, ask me for a ride. No matter how late it is, I'll come get you, alright?" Minhyung told her.

"Don't worry Minhyung, I was fine." Ayeon said, reassuring him but Minhyung shook his head.

"No you weren't, Ayeon. If it weren't for Ta-that man, I don't know what would have happened to you and I'm sure you don't want to know either." Minhyung said in a stern voice.

"Alright Minhyung." Ayeon said, heading to her room and closing the door before Minhyung could say another word.

"What's his problem, it's not like I'm his girlfriend or anything." Ayeon mumbled to herself just as her phone buzzed. She pulled it out to see a message from Donghyuck.