Chapter 23

Chapter 23: Mae

My hands attempted to rip the wrapper open, but it wouldn't budge. Either my fingers were too nubby or they super glued this bitch together. For my pride, I decided to settle on the latter.

Finally after what felt like hours, I finally opened the package and popped a Starburst into my mouth.

"You know you have to pay for those before you eat them," Jacin said to me as he opened one of the many glass doors to the refrigerated shelf of Pop and water. He grabbed a Pure Leaf Tea.

"I'm still going to pay for them, I was just dying of starvation," I claimed as I popped another one in my mouth, this time it was the yellow one.

"So instead of getting a nutritious meal, you settled for starbursts?" he questioned as he raised an eyebrow.

"Dude, we are in a gas station with such a lack of options that the EZ Mart at home would be appealing right now," I claimed as I motioned to the whole store. He knew I was right. The EZ Mart at home was only a few notches down from our local Walmart, but still this gas station really did lack in the food department.

I guess I probably shouldn't call it a gas station. I feel like a "multipurpose facility" might be more accurate. On one side of the store, there were clothing articles for sale, all of which said "Burlesque," but the first 'u' was made into a heart. On the other side, there was a diverse selection of camping gear. I shouldn't have been surprised, as Burlesque's main tourist trap was hiking "Mount Olympus."

Jacin and I were currently on the side of the store that had three glass door refrigerators, two for beverages and one for eggs, an array of candies, and cheetos. Not Doritos or sun chips... Just Cheetos.

At least they got their priorities in check.

We drove into town about 20 minutes ago. After a few minutes of me pestering Jacin on where Katelyn lived, he finally admitted that he had no idea. He only knew she lived in this town. Of course I freaked out as this was a key piece of information he should have shared with me from day one. We could spend days trying to track her in this town. He decided that it would be best for us to pull over into "Burlesque Shop Mart & Gas" to let me calm down and eat as he was scared I was going to turn into Jack Jack from the Incredibles, fire monster and all.

I must say that feeding me was a smart move. I do get a bad case of the Hangries every once in a while. Even only two starbursts in, and I felt my mood raise a little. Yet, I knew it was only a matter of time before Jacin found a way to ruin it.

We completely ignored whatever our little hormone induced rendezvous was. I, for one, was not proud of it. I felt disgusted with myself. Not having done anything sexual with a guy in the past, and having my first experience in a dingy motel was not great. Also, it was not the best that we just blatantly touched ourselves right next to each other. The whole incident seemed out of my control. It was like a teenage boy took control of my thoughts and actions. Well, I guess a teenage boy did get me all hot and bothered. I always expected my first anything to be "cute" or "romantic." Having my first kiss grinding against a guy at a club while drugged up and having my second encounter in a motel was not great.

As we walked to the register to pay, I grabbed a bag of cheetos. This earned a glare from Jacin.

"Don't give me that look. I treat my body like a temple," I rebuked.

"Yeah, a temple made of cheese and overly processed foods," he claimed. After the whole "Monster-Attack-Motel-Incident," we've both been a little fidgety, as one would be.

We were both confused as to what was happening to my body. Was the wolfsbane somehow laced with something that gave me powers? Or was this all linked to my unknown past and parentage? Both?