I Hope Someday Will Be Soon

~And you are the reason that I'm still breathing.~ Calum Scott.

Chapter Theme Song: 'You Are the Reason' by Calum Scott.

A/N: Swipe left for the song audio :)

••

Rainey

"...and the last time we went by her mom's place, he was acting like a possessive mentally deranged asshole. All psycho and pervy." Aiden informs my dad, who is raising his brows attentively while the brothers feed him information on Jeff.

"Yeah, he didn't want us to see her. He had this little cocky look on his face, and he was so weirdly defiant. What do you boys want with Rain?" Arden attempts to mimic Jeff's tone, causing Alaric to snicker softly at his brother's accurate impersonation.

"He even threatened Ansel's boss," Alex adds, and Robert looks at Ansel with narrowed eyes.

"He did?"

"Yeah, I work part-time at Crossview's café, so he came by one day while Rain was there," Ansel tells him. "And he was so determined to take her with him, but Rain didn't want to go with him, so I told him to leave."

Rob nods.

"He didn't want to. He was pushing a fight—"

"And he wouldn't want to pick a fight with my brother," Aiden tsks, as he drapes himself against the couch. "Ansel would have disfigured his face."

"So, Tim saw the commotion and came over, pushed him out of the café. He pointed a finger to Tim, and was like: You will regret doing this—"

"You're not doing it right, An." Arden interrupts. "His tone is craggier. You will regret doing this!"

"Don't. Don't do it again. You sound too much like him and it's creeping me out." Alex cringes.

"So, did he stick to his word, did he harm your boss?" My dad queries.

"Nope. He can't harm Tim." Alaric chuckles. "Tim's not an easy guy to mess with. I know because he specialized in gun-shooting and martial arts in the past."

Ansel nods. "Yeah, he did."

I raise my eyebrows at the new information. Tim did gun-shooting and martial arts? Okay. These brothers and everyone associated with them cannot be read just by their covers. I will always bear that in mind.

My dad's overwrought expression returns, and he exhales tiredly before running a hand over his face. "I will be getting both he and his companion imprisoned for all they have done to my daughter. Thank you, boys, for sticking by her, and thank you, Ry."

Riley, who is sitting on the floor mat, offers him a soft smile. Her eyes drift to me and her face dulls as she pouts her lips in apology.

I am not mad at Riley for telling my dad everything. At least she had the guts to do what I couldn't, and for that I am grateful.

"We can't get too arrogant though." Ansel sighs. "We are yet to deal with the 'big boss.'"

My dad vaguely cocks his head to the side. "What do you mean? What big boss?"

Alaric pulls himself to the edge of his seat, resting his elbows on his knees as he rubs his palms together. "There is this drug dealer man called Ron Moretto. Apparently, he has taken a fancy to your daughter and wants her."

"Wants her?"

"Yeah, Mr. Slate. The guy is twisted." Alex inserts. "He goes around collecting young girls, claiming he needs them to join his drug camp while offering them protection and money. Jeff and Greg aren't the only weird guys we've had to deal with these past few weeks."