Chapter 22

"Let's go to the pack house," Lucas announced from the bathroom. "I think we should make a formal, public announcement of our happy news. A public appearance will mean everyone will get excited and Maya will get overwhelmed by the crowd."

Standing in front of the floor-length mirror in the room, I placed a hand on my stomach and drew a deep breath. "You want to make the announcement now? Isn't it a bit soon? It's only been a week since the rogue at the resort..."

He came up behind me and covered my hand with his. The show of protection calmed a lot of my nerves, but I still wasn't sure.

"I think it's the perfect time. We need something positive to help us work past what happened, as well as strengthen the unity of the pack. If there's another attack coming, we want everyone focused on the same thing. Protecting their future alpha or luna could be just the thing."

I chewed on my bottom lip. "Are you sure?"

He tightened my arm around my waist. Resting his chin on my shoulder, he thought through his reassurance before speaking.

"Karina, you are much more than my luna. You're much more than my mate. You are that part of me that I didn't even realize I was missing. You have become so integrated into my heart that I'll die without you."

"That's true," I shrugged. "With the mate bond, you will actually die without me. And darn it, I'll die without you."

"Hey..." He tugged me closer. "My point is that I want the world to know how important you are to me. So, I want to tell everyone in our pack that their luna is loved so much that she now carries the future alpha or luna."

My cheeks heated at his choice of words. "Maybe you can just tell them that I'm pregnant. They can figure out the rest."

A mere four hours later, we stood on the ceremony stage behind the pack house. The whole pack gathered to hear what their alpha had to say. Most of them looked happily eager, eyeing me every few seconds. Maya stood about four rows in, already seething.

Lucas squeezed my hand before stepping forward. I respectfully stayed a step behind.

"My pack!" he bellowed. A few howls answered in excitement. "For some time, you all have questioned the future of our pack, this family. When I found my mate, you accepted that we would still move forward. Now, I am pleased to give you hope for a bright future."

I glimpsed Maya's jaw tighten. She knew, and she despised me even more.

Lucas took my hand and drew me to his side. "Friends, I am honored to announce that my mate—your luna—is expecting our first child. He or she will, no doubt, carry our pack forward for years to come!"

The group went wild with applause and howls. Their joy reached my darkest fears and put them down. This news was great indeed, and we would all celebrate.

I looked up at Lucas to find him beaming down at me. While I was fulfilling an honorable duty to the pack, I could tell that he was proud of this proof of our love. His lycan would show even more love now that there were two to love.

"Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!" The chant echoed around us as the pack excitedly shouted as one.

"They can't be serious," I whispered. "What is this? High school? You're the alpha!"

Lucas grinned as he cupped my face in his hands. "They may seem immature, but they do love their celebrations. Besides, I have no objections to their demand."

"Lucas..."

He cut me off, sealing my lips with his. I gripped his arms to steady myself. His kisses often left me dizzy and breathless. The crowd erupted in applause, a few whistles clearly asking for more.