Chapter 24

I stared at my reflection in the mirror. "C'mon, Amy. You're supposed to be my guardian, so you can't hide just because things get uncomfortable."

It took a minute, but I soon felt that power heat surging up from deep inside me. My vision partially clouded over, and I found myself staring at an alternate version of myself.

"Amy."

I suppose you have the right to summon me, she huffed. For the record, it's not nice to feel like a servant.

"I'm sorry to impose on your precious time," I scoffed. "If I didn't have serious concerns, I'd be sure to leave you be."

Concerns? About what? What's happened?

I shook my head. "Are you kidding me? Someone attacked me... tried to kill me... and you have no idea what I'm talking about?"

Her silence actually stunned me. Did she truly not... The rogue appeared mere days, and Maya attacked me barely a week, after Amy revealed herself. The coincidence was too great to excuse, and I needed answers.

"Amy, why didn't you appear when I was attacked? You're supposed to be my guardian, and yet two people nearly took me out."

It... it took a lot out of me to finally breach the conscience barrier and talk to you, she confessed. I could feel that something was happening, but I didn't have the strength to help you. I'm sorry.

"That's pretty convenient for anyone who would want me dead," I sneered. "Would anyone know about that little snag in your power?"

No one should. As you know, there hasn't been anyone like me in a long time. Any generally known information would have been forgotten over the years.

"Generally known information?" I echoed. "What about lesser known information?"

There's no records of the guardians. We've always been something of a mystery to the supernatural world, yet no one tried to oppose us. We helped. We always helped...

I gripped the edge of the bathroom counter and closed my eyes. 'We always helped' didn't fill me with the greatest confidence, neither did the fact that she trailed off as if she was thinking of a defense. There was something she wasn't telling me. There was a lot she wasn't telling me, and it was probably those details that would explain everything.

"Amy. Who didn't help? Why haven't there been any guardians? Why is the supernatural world fearful of history repeating itself?"

Her sigh rippled through my body, and I braced myself for whatever she was about to tell me.

Let me tell you a story.