Chapter 26

Turns out that finding a willing witch wasn't the biggest trouble. Finding a witch at all was the task. It's not like you could just put out a call and they would come. The farther out from the pack we looked, the more I feared that we wouldn't be able to find one.

Every coven I'd heard of had died off or vanished. Even the random witches who once were roaming about had seemingly gone underground. I couldn't find a trace of anyone. The last known record ended when the rogue guardian was killed.

After yet another fruitless phone call, I slumped in my office chair and chucked my cell phone across the room. It bounced on the carpet as the office door opened. My mate eyed the phone before shuffling across the room to perch on the edge of my desk.

"Another dead end?" he murmured.

I nodded, closing my eyes and leaning my head back against my chair. "The last witch who worked with New Moon pack died a month ago, and the alpha didn't know of any others."

The desk creaked as Lucas stood. I slit one eye open to see him walk around the desk to sit on the edge closest to me. He took my hands and squeezed. "I'm not giving up. There are witches out there somewhere, and they just need to know that it's safe."

I squeezed his hands back and offered the bravest smile I could. "I'm really glad you're here doing this with me."

He leaned forward and pressed a kiss to my forehead. "There's nowhere else I'd rather be."

The door swung open behind him. Lucas straightened and glanced over his shoulder. One of the guards stood in the doorway.

"What is it?"

The guard pressed a fist to his chest in respect. "Alpha. There's a woman at the border. She says that she's a descendant of the witch who killed the last guardian."

Lucas and I jumped to our feet in unison. He grabbed my arm to steady me when I wobbled due to the headrush, but I quickly recovered.

"Where is the woman now?" Lucas asked the guard, already herding me toward the door.

The guard blinked in surprise, clearly not expecting us to welcome her. "She's, uhm, still at the border with the guards, waiting to hear from you."

"Let her pass," Lucas ordered. "Have her escorted to the conference room. We'll meet with her there."

"Yes, sir." The guard nodded to me and ducked out of the room.

I turned to face my mate. "This is ... an incredible coincidence, right? Or maybe word has reached the witches that we need their help?"

Lucas cupped my face in his hands. "Whatever the reason, I'm just glad we have a lead...a possibility. I am one step closer to protecting my lovely mate against the supernatural world."

I smiled against his lips before returning his heated kiss. Of all the things he needed to worry about as alpha, my wellbeing and protection always came first. Most everyone understood his devotion, and the few who didn't were unmated. They couldn't understand the strength of the mate bond.

"We should go meet our guest," he whispered when he finally pulled away.

"Mm-hmm." I nodded my agreement but didn't move away.

We stared at each other like lovesick puppies for a solid minute before Lucas spun towards the door.

"Let's go." He grabbed my hand and tucked it into the crook of his arm. "...before I get it into my head to do something that will keep us busy for – awhile."

I bit back a grin as we walked down the hall towards the conference room. While I happily would have gone along with whatever he had in mind, we did have something far more important before us: a lead. We needed to focus on that.