Part 36

"To George and Karen!"

There was some applause, several cheers, and some laughter to go with it. The first toast of the evening and Ben had nailed it. So far, the engagement party had gone off without a hitch, smooth sailing. The party wasn't large, mainly family and close friends, and the house had been done up prettily for the occasion.

Echo leaned against a wall, her gaze straying back and forth between Lena and Maru, and the entrance to the large room. She'd been waiting, hoping that he would come. She'd been clear with Marco about, or at least she thought she had been. She'd told him that she would be waiting for Luke, so why was it an hour into the party and he was nowhere to be found? Maybe he wasn't coming... maybe he got caught up at work, whatever that implied. 

"You look great, Echo." Maru said, noticing she was distracted. She'd felt so damned uncomfortable over the last hour, having to deal with these two sour pusses. She could understand why Echo was disappointed, but dealing with Lena had been a pain all day. She still couldn't figure out what had been bugging her. 

"Don't you think, Lena?" Maru asked when Echo didn't reply. Lena turned, looking Echo over with a faint smile. 

"You really do. I love the dress." Lena said, trying to be in a good mood. 

"Thank you, it was Romy's choice." Echo said, looking down at it and smoothing it out. It was actually a really lovely dress, dark pink to her knees, simple but elegant. If Echo wasn't so distracted by her own thoughts, she'd almost be pleased with herself. 

"I do have great taste." Romy said, approaching her sisters with Vera in tow. 

"Lord, here we go." Lena said, rolling her eyes. "Another thing for Romy to be the best at."

"I can't help it if I'm good at so many things." Romy said, purposely trying to provoke Lena. For some reason, those two were always fighting. 

"I hate to break it to you, but Echo's the one that makes that dress look so good." Lena said with a huff. 

"It's true, dear. You look so lovely." Vera said, gazing around the room. 

"Looking for someone?" Romy asked, noticing. Vera gazed back at her sisters, noticing that their eyes were all on her. She shook her head. 

"No, not really. I was just wondering who got here." Vera said quietly. 

Echo raised her brow- maybe that was him? 

"I can't tell." Romy said, peeking towards the entrance where their parents were now greeting someone. "George is in the way."

"At his own party?" Lena replied. 

"You know what I mean." Romy replied coolly, but all five sisters now stared towards the entrance, trying to catch a peek at the new comer.

"What are we looking at?" Luke whispered from behind Maru. 

"Oh, Hi Mr. Farina, we're just trying to figure out who mom and dad are talking to." Maru replied. 

 It was a few more seconds before the sisters turned back, all equally dumbfounded.

"Something wrong?" he asked, noting that they stared. 

"No." Vera finally said after a moment, chuckling. "You just surprised us."

"I'm assuming it must have been you they were just fussing over." Romy said, immediately returning to her usually bored stance. 

"Guilty. It's great to see you all." He said, reaching out and shaking their hands.