Chapter 6

A year passed by, and Celine had finally turned 10 years old.

Zayden continued to study under her, often discoursing over philosophical texts or training with his familiar. He was gaining physical strength while catching up with his studies, and Celine acknowledged him as a genius with photographic memory. Practically speaking, the two children were prodigies. But it would be dangerous if people were to find out.

Meanwhile, Celine was fascinated with Draco's familiar.
Dragons didn't exist in her previous world, but she had read multiple fantasy novels that helped understand Red and Draco's body composition more. As a chemical engineer, Celine was naturally curious about their chemical composition and what kind of firepower he possessed. She believed that fire was enhanced through different fuels and elements inside the dragon's body. Celine observed how Red inhaled deeply before blasting a fireball with blue hues that slowly transformed into bigger, orange flames.

Blue gas? Does he have methane-based fuels in his body? Does he have other gases or sources in his body to produce different types of fire?

This explained why Draco wasn't able to possess firepower. He was only mimicking the body of a dragon, therefore he did not have an actual dragon's chemical makeup. Instead, because he was a koi, he could manipulate water to his own advantage. Celine and Zayden's familiars seemed to be total opposites.

As Celine grew closer to Zayden, she became more confident that her fate was being rewritten. As long as she was always a step ahead of him and took repercussions, she could ensure her safety and easily escape if something were to go wrong.

***

One evening, Emperor Michaelis I summoned Celine to privately dine with him. She was startled, since the Emperor only spent time in his harem, totally neglecting his responsibilities as ruler.

Did he find out what I'm up to?

Before she could panic, a servant entered her room to dress her. She was a small, petite woman who had been assigned to Celine recently. Celine had dismissed most of her servants since they would most likely interfere her time with Zayden and gossip. But today, it seemed as if Emperor Michaelis I had remembered her existence, or needed something from her.

"Young miss smells like flowers! How can her skin be so clear and white?" The servant happily dressed this beautiful child and sent her on her way, fully aware that Celine wanted to be alone and unbothered.

Why is this little girl so cold and distant, the servant wondered. As a child, Celine was as composed and elegant as a noble woman. Her movements were graceful and showed a facial expression that was not meant for a 10 year old girl. The servants in the palace admired the young lady greatly. They had come to a consensus that Celine was born to be an Empress.

****

In a beautifully ornate room filled with candles and priceless decor, the Emperor and the Crown Prince's fiance sat around the long table filled with delectable food. She smiled to herself as she imagined Zayden's reaction to this gourmet meal.

From across the table, Emperor Michaelis I properly examined her from head to toe with a hungry gaze, immediately snapping Celine out of her happy thoughts.

"I hadn't seen you since the crown prince left the castle. They say you get prettier by the day and it seems to be true. You are already more beautiful than the concubines in my harem." Michaelis I smiled wickedly, exposing his rotten teeth.

Celine stiffened as the emperor continued to compliment her appearance shamelessly. A young girl who didn't know any better would have been flustered from their Emperor's praise, but Celine felt repulsed. He complimented her too much. He was starting to sound like a predator. Celine read enough history in her past life to know how some rulers would abuse their power and become tyrannical. Dining in front of such a historical figure sometimes felt like a fever dream. She always froze in fear, worried that she would offend an authoritative figure.