Part 39

"Grace, I just don't understand why you're being so stubborn." Nadia said with a groan. "What in the world do you want to go to the dinner for? What do you think is going to happen?"

"Really, Nadia- you have no vision." Grace said with a shake of her head. Nadia watched her pace about the room, glancing at the clock and noticing the time. It seemed like tonight would be another sleepless one. She would have to stop answering her messages- it wouldn't hurt Grace to have to wait every once in a while. 

"Picture this..." Grace said, dramatically waving her hands as if to set up a scene. "Romantic anniversary dinner, intimate family setting... Luke and I interacting and laughing in a warm social setting. Up until now every time we've met it's always been... well you know."

Nadia frowned, she knew but she definitely did not need to know... he was her cousin.

"Yeah, okay." Nadia said, semi disgusted.

"He hasn't taken the time to get to know me because he hasn't had too." Grace said with a smile, "But at dinner, he'll have no other choice. I'll be in my best element, you'll be there to help me look good, highlight my wit and your parents love me, so that'll be perfect."

Grace went on and on for a few more minutes while Nadia rose her brow skeptically. It would be true that Grace would shine in a small setting like that one, after all, it would only be Nadia and her brother, her parents, Luke and another cousin on her father's side, a cousin who was easily bowled over by a pretty face. 

She would stand out beautifully and if anyone knew how to charm a room, it was Grace. She knew what types of things to say and how to bridge awkward silences. The only problem with this plan was that unknown to Grace, Nadia's parents actually couldn't stand her. 

Nadia had tried, really tried, over the years to make her mother and father see that Grace was a sweet girl, a lot sweeter than she seemed to be but it didn't work. Of course, her parents always greeted her warmly, treated her kindly, welcomed her into their house but when she was gone, her mother was always warning her against Grace. Her mother had insisted that Grace was too self absorbed, too aware of her own beauty and always ready to make sure everyone knew it. She'd noticed immediately that Grace hated not being the center of attention, another thing that just rubbed her wrong. 

Nadia could understand this- her mother was an extremely picky woman and could be elitist at times, something that wasn't unusual considering her father had been Don and now her nephew was. It was true that her parents could be snobs, but they were generous in their own way and very good judges of character. 

"So what do you think?" Grace asked after Nadia had been quiet for some time. 

"I think you're expecting a lot. What if Luke isn't pleased to see you there? You know he doesn't like for his private life to mix with his family." Nadia said.

"And yet he got involved with me knowing I was your best friend." Grace challenged. 

"You're getting your hopes up Grace." Nadia said. 

"Why shouldn't I? Can you think of any reason why he shouldn't want me? Oh come on, Nadia. It'll be fun, and if it doesn't work, then no harm done." Grace said and Nadia shrugged. 

"Of course, you're invited to come and I'll do my best to help you shine." Nadia said, biting her lip and looking down. 

"But...?" Grace said, noting her doubt. 

"Well, Grace you told me you haven't heard from him in weeks... almost two months, right?" Nadia said, "That's a long time. I don't know how these things usually go but I would say he's probably..."