~20~

Not far outside of the city, there was a factory. It was huge, intimidating, but abandoned, many different buildings scattered around the grounds. I pushed the doors open to one of the buildings. No one. Or so I thought.
I entered cautiously, closing the door behind me and sighing of relief. I won't die from the heat today. Around me, there was a lot of machinery, all standstill, and a hose, which I noticed led right to a tap. Perfect! I could refill my water bottle. Thankfully I still had my backpack with purifying tablets, food and a first aid kit, but no tent. That was still with the others. I hoped they got out safe, and that they were not injured.
Looking down, I noticed there was a gash on my arm, but thankfully I had managed to avoid getting burnt. I did inhale a bit of smoke though, so I went to fill up a bottle of water and clear my throat, then I would tend to my gash.
Under the tap, I noticed there was a puddle, but it hadn't been leaking when I arrived. Weird, I thought. But then maybe I was just being jumpy after almost being burnt to the ground. Quickly I filled up my bottles and added the tablets. I had to wait a bit before drinking, but I had drunk some leftover water not long ago, so it wasn't a big deal.
Now that the most important had been done, I decided to wander around a little. I walked closer to the machinery, it wasn't anything I recognised, just giant pieces of metal that I presumed must have been active some time ago. I turned, and out of the corner of my eye I could have sworn I'd seen a shadowy figure move. I tensed, grabbing my knife in my hand, and continued to look around, staying alert and aware. I turned my head back and spotted a trapdoor, but as I approached it the door started opening and I was staring right at the face of a man in his 40s, stern and cold-looking. He yelled something in German to something behind me, or someone...
I felt a hand grip my shoulder tightly and my lightning fast reflexes kicked in. I needed to get out. I shook myself from their grip and ran as fast as I could towards the nearest door I could see. Opening it, I saw the sun was high in the sky by now and it would be suicide to go outside in this heat. Looking behind me, more men were advancing towards me, some I noticed holding rifles pointed at my head. I had no choice. I turned to go out and my gaze fell on a sheet next to the door. I could use that for protection from the sun's rays. I grabbed it and sprinted for my life, away from the cries and shouts behind me. They wouldn't dare follow me into this heat, they thought I was going to die out here probably, and left me out here instead of wasting their bullets.
Once I was sure they weren't going to follow me, I pulled the sheet over my head and walked along the road. I felt dizzy already from the heat, and I knew I needed to get to the closest shelter possible. I got lucky, however, as soon enough there was a little dirt road leading off the main street towards what looked like a little village. Feeling my energy depleting at a rapid rate, I scrambled whatever force I had and managed a rapid walk towards a barn on the outside of the village. I ran inside the open garage doors and stopped in my tracks at what I could see. It was Alan.