2.1 | Church Bells

Sapphire

"Ow!" Ian exclaims for the umpteenth time, and I push my eyebrows together as I approach his door. I knock gently, hearing another hiss leave his lips. "Fuck."

"Ian?"

All the commotion that was happening in his room suddenly stops, and he opens the door a fraction just a few moments later. He peeks out through the small gap to smile at me.

"Yes?"

"Are you all right?" I can't help the amused smile that takes over my face.

"Yes, just trying to put my jeans on."

"Jeans?" I inquire. "With a fractured shoulder?"

"I don't like wearing shorts or sweats to school," he explains simply, and when I open my mouth to ask him why, he continues. "I'm not comfortable wearing something where people can easily notice my... you know."

My cheeks redden, and I clear my throat uncomfortably. "I see."

"Might have to deal with it, though. I can't get them on."

I avert my eyes and look everywhere but at him. "Do you want me to help?" I offer.

He's silent for a moment, until, "You wouldn't mind?"

I meet his eyes again, smiling shyly. "If it'll help you be more comfortable in school, then sure. You've helped me when I was stained, so I feel like I owe it to you."

He beams and opens the door wider for me to enter, and my blush returns more furiously when I see him in just his boxer briefs. Then I remember that I've seen him completely naked before.

The memory only worsens my tomato face.

I clear my throat. "Okay, so how do we do this?"

He sits down at the edge of his bed and grabs a pair of jeans from the floor, extending his arm out towards me. I take them from him and kneel in front of him, making a mistake as I make eye contact. We both instinctively look away in embarrassment.

Shaking my head, I hold the jeans for him to step into, pulling them up once he does. From there, I start to slide them up his legs until he can stand up to help me put them up and over his own butt.

At the final step, we both look at each other and blush.

"This is where I was struggling the most..."

I nod, reaching down between us to button his jeans. When I reach for his zipper, I hide my face by pushing my forehead against his chest.

He chuckles, placing his arm on my waist as I tug the zipper up.

"Thank you," he praises with a gruff voice. "You really didn't have to, but I appreciate it."

I nod once again, still hiding my flushed face against his chest. Until suddenly, he reaches up to cup my jaw and I slowly look up into his eyes. He offers a slanted smile, his eyes darting from my eyes to my lips.

I visibly swallow, doing the same.

As if silently asking for permission, he leans in a fraction and swipes his thumb across my bottom lip. I grant permission without hesitation, getting on my tiptoes and wrapping my arms around his neck as I press my lips to his.

A groan erupts from the back of his throat as his arm drops back down to my waist, and I dig my fingers into the silkiness of his hair.

He's been a good kisser since the beginning, but this time is unlike any of the other kisses we've had. Now it feels real. And I plan on remembering this time.

However, the moment is ruined when my arm accidentally swipes against his shoulder, and I immediately pull away when he hisses in pain.

"Oh, shit– I'm so sorry!"

He waves me off, lowering himself onto the mattress of his queen sized bed as he keeps his heated gaze on me. His eyes take me all in as they swipe down my body. I decided on dressing casual today, with a loose olive green t-shirt and light-washed jeans, completed with white sneakers and quick and easy curls. He looks pleased as his eyes meet mine again.

An involuntary shudder ransacks my shoulders when he bites his lip and beckons me forward with a curled finger. "Come here."

"We have school in thirty, you know?" But I'm still lowering myself to straddle his lap. His hand claims my waist as I lean my forehead against his and pout. "What are we?"

He kisses the tip of my nose, smiling fondly. "What do you want us to be?"

"Maybe start off by going back to how we were?" I suggest. "We've been acting like strangers for two weeks."

"Hey, the first week was me. The second week was all you."

I roll my eyes, cupping his face in my hands as I admire him in the morning daylight. I never truly paid attention, but he's beautiful. Bright blue eyes peer at me under long, thick and curly lashes. His eyebrows are groomed and I can taste his minty chapstick on my lips. I like guys who take care of themselves.

We stay like that for a while, just admiring one another and grabbing each other's face. But we blink back to reality when an impatient fist knocks on the door wildly.

"Katie," he grumbles, "She's still insisting on driving us to school."

I laugh, stroking his cheek, "You can't blame her for caring."

Pushing myself off his lap, I exit his room and go to open the door for Katie. She greets me with a tight hug, pulling away only when Ian makes his presence known.

"Can we go? I have to meet coach before class starts."

Katie scrunches her eyebrows together, plucking her phone out of her back pocket to check the time. "You tell me this, now? I could've gotten here earlier if I had known. Come on then, move your tushes out the door!"

I laugh softly, quickly running to grab my bag from my room before following orders. Both Katie and Ian are already in the elevator by the time I make it out of the door. I quickly lock up before rushing over as Ian keeps the doors to the elevator open. Once I'm inside, he beams and wraps an arm around my shoulders.

Katie takes not-so-subtle glances in our direction as a prideful smile takes over her features on our way down.

"You guys hear something?" She surprises us by asking, looking around the elevator cab.

Ian and I turn to give each other confused glances.

"Hear what exactly?"

"It's the church bells ringing."

Ian groans, "Seriously? This is why I stopped visiting you."

She just laughs as we reach the lobby. "Sorry, I'm sorry!"

As soon as the elevator doors open, Ian grabs my hand and tugs a very flustered version of myself right out of the building, leaving his sister behind.

"I'm sorry! I'll be quiet from now on, but wait for me!"

Author's Note

A quick filler chapter because life as a mom is busy and tiring, but I'm trying my best! Thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed.

Much love,
Kim 💋