Chapter 6

Song: Cringe

Artist: Matt Maeson

Chapter 6

Neither Frederic nor Wahid had any extra-curricular activities after school that day. The trio met at Frederic's locker. When Octavia got there, she found Frederic whining again about lunch. He hadn't stopped since lunch finished, and they walked to class. The entire time they sat at Cressida's table, Frederic fell silent. He even resorted to conversations with Teresa to avoid looking at the couple.

'Still giving Cressida your undivided attention?' Octavia rested against a locker and winced down at her foot. When she looked up, Wahid nodded because it seemed Frederic didn't hear her.

'Before I thought I stood a small chance of getting her, now I don't at all!'

'Don't worry my friend, apparently, they're on and off.' Wahid wiggled his thick brows. 'Trouble in paradise.'

'Is there any gossip that you don't know?' Octavia tilted her head.

'You'd be surprised how chatty boys can be in the showers after practice. It's the only thing that distracts us from accidentally seeing each other's pe—'

'She even called me Francis!' Frederic cut off Wahid and leaned against his locker. 'I think I'm the biggest loser at Vega Front High. Scratch that, in Saint Beaurage.'

'Freddo, you're not a loser.' Octavia hopped past Wahid, so she'd be in front of Frederic. 'You have us... we will make sure Cressida Perkins notices you! If she doesn't, then fuck her, err... I don't mean—you know what, then she's not worth it. You don't have to change who you are, just you know...'

Wahid raised his arms and flexed. Frederic turned at the sight of the humongous biceps he only ever imagined of having. Octavia poked Wahid's bicep, and he shrieked. 'Yes, these. That's why, this summer, we will buff you the fuck up. How does that sound?'

'Great, can't wait.' Frederic smiled. 'Thanks, guys, especially you, Octavia. We only met yesterday and you're doing so much.'

'No prob, Freddo, that's what I'm here for,' she said, then nodded at them. 'Now, if you boys will excuse me, I have a bus to catch.'

'Are you sure you don't want a lift?' Frederic's eyes trailed down to her bandaged foot that she balanced on her Converse.

'I'm fine!' she backed away before they tried to change her mind. Wahid looked like he was ready to carry her while Frederic offered to take her bag. She turned before they asked her again and waved her hand in the air. 

The only thing that sucked about the bus was that it wasn't at the front of the school. They parked all the cars on the left side of campus while the busses filled in on the right. That explained all the entrances to avoid traffic.

The one thing Octavia liked about her trip to the bus stop was the view she'd catch on the way. The doors to the indoor swimming pool were open when she turned the corridor. Even though it was wrong to ogle at the guys mean to Frederic, she couldn't help herself. She loved swimming, and she loved the sight of a shirtless male. 

When she passed the double-doors, she didn't expect to see Tyson Chapman outside of the pool with his head down. Boden Springer was in the pool looking up and talking to his friend. Tyson had already been in the pool. Octavia could tell from the gloss on Tyson's broad chest and damp swimming trunks. She turned away when she felt her body go warm. A palm on the cheek to make sure she wasn't red. She hoped for one last peek, but when she looked up, Tyson had his eyes on her. He beckoned her over and before she objected, Boden turned too.