44

Chapter 44:
PERFECT

I will never leave you, even though you are being rude to me and you're far more considerate of your patients than I am.

A faint smile appeared on Taylor's lips as the voice and memory reappeared in her mind. The voice of a young man who was once close to her and who knows her.

After disappearing without giving a single word for a year, he suddenly returned and disregarded Taylor. As if nothing had happened between them for the past year. And Taylor knows now that she shouldn't easily trust that man. Nowadays, it's very difficult to find someone who can be trusted. Everyone is just saying and coaxing their words and making promises, without even stating the truth and fulfilling their promises.

"Doctor!"

Taylor, who was daydreaming with her hand gripping the trolley handle, turned around in surprise when she heard the voice.

Taylor turned and found someone familiar coming towards her, apparently carrying a shopping cart too. Struggling with her memory, Taylor is currently trying to remember who this woman was, Taylor finally remembered when she could clearly see the middle-aged woman's eyes. Her eyes are unmistakably similar to. . .

"Mrs. Styles?"

A smile appeared on the woman's lips. "Anne. Just call me Anne. Nice to meet you again in New York. I thought you lived in Nashville."

Taylor quickly shook her head. "No, I was just assigned in Nashville for a while. I live in New York."

Anne nodded. "No wonder my son spends more time in New York than anywhere else. Even though he had bought an apartment in Los Angeles."

Harry? What does she mean? Harry spent a lot of time in New York, but never even gave the effort to call or meet me. What is this nonsense?

"Grocery shopping, doctor Swift?" Anne glanced at the contents of Taylor's shopping cart. And her shopping cart contains things such as, Liquid bath soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, towels, bread, herbs, vegetables, instant foods and many other items in Taylor's trolley.

Taylor smiled thinly. "As you can see. I also need to refill my now-empty refrigerator. Lately, I have been sleeping late and I'm always hungry. Ah, and you can call me Taylor. It sounds better, considering I'm not in the hospital at the moment."

Anne giggled. "But you still look the same, you're still beautiful, Taylor."

"I've been sleeping late and I have dark eye bags under my eyes, and I'm pretty sure that I look like a mess right now." Taylor claimed and again, Anne chuckled.

"Eyebags? What are you talking about? I clearly don't see them. And oh please, don't say that, you look stunning as always." Taylor and Anne chuckled.

"Are you still going to look around in the aisles or something?" Anne asked suddenly.

Taylor thought for a moment before shaking her head. "No. This is enough. I'll queue up soon, I'll pay for it and go home."

"What if we have lunch together? I'll treat you and I don't take no for an answer." Anne said firmly and indeed it seemed that Taylor could not refuse a mother's invitation from someone who Taylor is trying to forget about.

━━

Taylor stopped eating when she noticed Anne's strange look at her. All this time, the nearly fifty-year-old woman looked at her closely with a strange smile on her lips.

"You're not going to eat your meal, Anne?" Taylor asked and Anne chuckled before nodding. Anne began to take her chopsticks and eat her udon. Anne invited Taylor to eat at a Japanese restaurant that wasn't far from the supermarket where they met.