57. Glad You Came

"Magic happens
 when you do not give up
 even though you want to. 

The universe always
 falls in love

with a stubborn heart."

The four men in the room stood, on guard, as Ace walked in

As always, he looked confident and powerful.

He commanded the respect of the room.

He glared at the inhabitants of it.

"Ace," Kai said, conversationally, "I'm so glad you came. We were just talking about you."

Ace looked around the room for the one person he cared about, but he couldn't find her. So, he continued to glare at the men.

"Mr. Jones was kind enough to invite me," he said, evenly, "What the hell is going on here?"

Kai took a step towards him. "Why don't you just come in and take a load off? We've got coffee and good company."

Ace didn't budge. He only stared.

"We even have a familiar face at our disposal," Brad volunteered, "I believe it's a face that you were very fond of at a time."

Ace turned his glare to Brad. "Are you people never disgusted with yourselves? Exploiting some girl to get what you want because you don't have any skills yourself?"

"Oh, we're just having a bit of fun," Kai said, jovially.

Ace raised an eyebrow. "Fun? Fun? Abusing someone is fun to you?"

His voice only inflected; it didn't raise above it's usual decibel, but there was power in the way he spoke. More power than any of the other men could ever dream of having in their voices.

Kai smirked, despite it. "Someone seems a bit on edge," he laughed, "What? Are you just sad that you can't do the same to her?"

"I'm not disgusting, like you."

"Or are you just mad that I took her virginity and now you can't?" Kai laughed along with the others, like he had told the funniest joke in the world.

Ace stopped, dead.

In his life, Ace had been angry many times. He had been angry at his father for the things he did, at life for the way it turned out, at himself for never living up to his father's expectations and for not living up to his own, at Scarlett for what she had done, at his rivals for the way they did their business.

Despite the anger that he felt, he was always able to keep it in check.

Ace Hardwood never lost his composure.

He was always calm and collected, even when all hell was breaking loose around him.

There, in that moment, listening to Kai talk about a woman and her virginity like it was some prize to be won, he had never felt angrier.