Part 42

Marco wasn't following Echo today, that's what Benny was around the corner for. He almost laughed at himself, that certainly did sound creepy. 

The fact that he was in charge of making sure his boss' girlfriend always had someone nearby, keeping an eye on her, was weird enough as it was. Of course, when Luke gave the order, he didn't really expect Marco to take this on directly- Marco had to take care of other business, including the Russo brothers. But it had been awfully quiet and there hadn't been any news of them at this point.  

Today, he'd sent off the men on assignments as expected. He looked towards the corner, where Benny was sitting at a cafe, seemingly reading the paper and minding his own business. He'd caught sight of her completely by surprise. He hadn't expected that she would be in the city again but she was making it out here more and more these days.  He smiled thinking about how she had started to come out of her shell. 

Echo was definitely feeling a little more free nowadays, she had to admit it. Especially since... she felt herself grow red just thinking about it.  She floated around the department store, barely even paying attention to the clothes on the racks. 

She'd been so lucky that no one had gone up to check on her that morning. She was sure she'd be in so much trouble, especially when she realized she wouldn't be back before breakfast. She felt so ashamed, sneaking into the house round back so they wouldn't see her.  She was in a dreamy state, tired and just wanting to sink under the covers but if she did that, she knew they'd be suspicious. Instead, she changed and washed up as quick as she could before joining everyone at breakfast. 

She hadn't walked away unscathed, however; her parents assumed she'd gotten in very late the night before, accounting for her disheveled and late appearance that morning.  They'd given her a firm talking to and she'd promised not to do it again.

In the end, it was better than whatever their reaction would be if they knew she'd spent the night with her boyfriend. 

Again, Echo flushed furiously. She'd spent the night with her boyfriend. Echo was so caught up in the thought that she didn't react until it was too late to avoid running face first into the wall. 

"Owww..." Echo said loudly, as she hit the floor. "Jesus." 

"Are you okay?" a voice from behind her said. "That was... a pretty nasty fall."

"Yeah... I have those a lot." Echo said, taking the hand that was extended to her. "Thanks."

"No problem, I've had those too." Nadia said, suddenly realizing who she was helping up. 

"Nadia?" Echo asked as she saw her face. 

"Hi, Echo. So funny running into you." Nadia said, looking down at the little woman who'd caught Luke's attention. "How are you?"

"I'm good. You?" Echo asked, trying not to be awkward but she couldn't help but stare... she was so tall and sorta looked like Luke.

"Good, just... browsing." Nadia said, holding up a few dresses she held in her arms. 

"Same." Echo replied, noting the scrubs. "Do you work in a hospital?"

"Oh, yeah. I'm a nurse in a clinic in North town." Nadia said, looking down at herself. "I would have gone home to change but if I make it home, I'll probably be too lazy to go out again."

"Yeah, I know the feeling." Echo said, "I'm a real homebody myself."

"I never would have guessed it." Nadia said. "I hope this doesn't sound rude but... I almost didn't recognize you."

Echo caught sight of her reflection in the nearby mirror, she'd come out to get some shopping done because she'd gone through all of her newer clothes. Hence, she'd worn an old pair of jeans and over sized polo shirt that led down to her knees. To top it all off, she was wearing an old pair of boots that fit her a couple of sizes too big.