2

Josh's POV

"Hey uncle Josh, have you seen Maya?" My niece came up to me and asked.

"Erm, no?" I said as more of a question than statement.

"Pretty sure she went downstairs." Zay said.

"I'll go look if you want? It's getting chilly, I need to grab my beanie." I replied.

"You and that beanie." Riley laughed as she and Zay walked over to their 3 other friends.

I went downstairs back into the apartment and heard Maya's voice. It was shakey and she was definitely on the phone to someone. I decided to go get my beanie and give her a minute, but when I was in my room I heard a small thudding sound so quickly made my way back to the living room.

When I went through I saw her shaking on the sofa and her phone on the floor.

"Hey, hey, come here." I went and sat next to her and pulled her into a hug and she just burst into tears. "I got you." I pulled her closer.

"It's Kermit," She whispered a couple minutes later. "My, uh, biological father. He had a heart attack and he's somehow gone into a coma. That was his sister on the phone, she thought it was best to let me know incase the worst happens and I want to say goodbye." My heart broke for her.

Tears were still coming out from her eyes so I wiped them off with my beanie. She looked down and weakly smiled, "thanks. But Josh, I wanna go tonight, but I don't wanna drag my parents from the party and worry everyone."

"I have a car, you got the address?" She nodded.

"My, uh, auntie I guess sent me it. Let me just grab my backpack from Riley's room and I'll be ready. You might wanna grab a pair of sweat pants or something comfortable to drive in."

I took her advice and went to my room and grabbed a pair of grey sweats and a hoodie and a couple toiletries incase I wanted to freshen up, then went back to the living room to wait on Maya.

Maya's POV

I ran into Riley's room and grabbed my backpack which I had thankfully not unpacked. I was meant to be staying at hers overnight so it had pyjamas, tooth and hair brushes, other toiletries and a change of clothes that weren't party clothes. I also shoved my phone charger in and went back to the living room.

"Ready?" I questioned.

"Yeah let's go." Josh opened the door and let me walk through first before shutting the door.

We walked down to his car and I got in the passenger side and put my backpack on the floor by my feet.

"I can put those in my back, here." I heald my hand out for him to pass me his change of stuff.

"Thanks. Can I see you phone to put in the address in the GPS?" I nodded and passed it to him and sat there in silence. I still couldn't properly get my head around what was going on.

"He'll be okay Maya." Josh grabbed my hand and gave it a quick squeeze before putting both his hands on the wheel and driving out.

Josh let me connect my phone via bluetooth to okay some actually good music as it was late and we couldn't agree on a radio station. We were an hour into the drive and still had 3 to go. I also text my mum to let her know what happened and she was actually okay with the fact I was going to be alone with Josh, fair enough she didn't know about our 'someday' pact. She also said that she would be with Shawn, the dad who was actually there for me, first thing tomorrow if needed them. But I knew Josh wouldn't let anything bad happen to me. Well, nothing else bad.

"Uh my auntie just text me saying they're not letting anymore visitors in tonight." I huffed. "What the hell are we meant to do now?"

"Relax, we can just find a hotel near the hospital and crash there." He suggested which caused me to glair at him which made him go wide-eyed. "We can get a room with 2 beds don't worry, or separate rooms if you're more comfortable that."

"I'm sure we can get a room with 2 beds." I nodded and went to skip the song. I started to sing along and felt him smile at me as we continued our journey.