Chapter 1: Evoker

They had walked into the dark oak mansion without much thought. Not that they needed to, Dream was the best fighter in the kingdom (after the king, of course) and George was just as good of a hunter. They had killed countless monsters together during their quests to defeat the ender dragon, so what were a few more pillagers to them?

The prickling tendrils of doubt first began to take root in George's mind the minute the mob he had assumed to be a pillager lifted an axe and charged him with an angry HRMM!. Then George came to the frightening realization that they had made a horrible mistake. Caught off guard, he could only scream. "DREEEEEEAM!"

His friend had disappeared down one of the dark hallways, the flash of his sword and sounds of fighting the only things telling him that he was still alive.

"There's a– there's a MAN with an AXE!" he started to run, only for the not-pillager to chase after him, "OH MY GOD HE'S COMING FOR ME– AAAH HE'S SO FAST FU–"

The rest of his words were cut off by the solid THUNK! of an axe on wood. George dropped the splintered remains of his shield and caught the next blow of the axe on his sword. "DREEEEAM!" he screamed again, his arms shaking with effort as the grey-skinned creature pressed down with all its might.

The whistle of a sword through the air announced the arrival of his friend, if the wheezing that followed didn't. A grey head tumbled to the ground.

"Dream, that's not funny." George said, giving the head a kick as Dream struggled for breath. "You would run too if you saw that thing charge at you."

"It's just a mob, George." Dream chuckled. He lifted his mask to wipe a droplet of blood, but he only succeeded in smearing it across the white surface. "C'mon, let's keep going. They said the big bad was upstairs, and he's the one we want."

"Wait, we should stop and heal for a bit." George said, eyeing the wreckage of his shield. Thank goodness he'd finally remembered to use it. He looked down the two long hallways that branched off from the entrance. Apparently Dream had killed all the other...things...while he'd been running from the axe-wielding one. "We don't know what we've just walked into, we should be more careful."

"You mean you should be more careful." Dream swung his sword around aimlessly. It was stained with the blood of a thousand ender dragons, giving the dark blade a violet glow. "Hurry up."

"Shut up and let me eat this bread." George said, wolfing down an entire loaf. He wasn't hungry, but he wasn't going to take any chances now that he'd encountered a mob he'd never seen before.

"Then eat faster." Dream shoved the sword into his belt. "I'll wait for you upstairs."

Before he could react, his friend dashed up one of the ominous red staircases.

"Wait!" George yelled through a mouthful of bread. He quickly shoved the remainder into his bag and chased after his friend.

Upon reaching the second floor he immediately tripped over a body. It was another one of those axe-wielding pillagers. Beyond it was a trail of blood (not human blood, he noted with relief) and the smoking remains of a creeper. George followed the trail of dead mobs down the hallway, sword at the ready in case anything else spawned. Finally he caught a flash of green, the tattered edge of Dream's cloak flapping in the darkness. How did he manage to get so far in such a short amount of time? He turned the corner and finally caught sight of Dream taking out another one of those axe-wielding things. The hallway leading up to him was similarly littered with grey-skinned bodies. Did he ever mention how much of a nightmare Dream was with that sword of his?

Dream finished the mob off with a twirl of his sword, its head falling clean off its body. "Took you long enough." he huffed as George ran up to him.