𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟔𝟐

❈✱❉✤❈✱❉

The sounds of buzzing and chirping wildlife from the colorful growing vegetation surrounded Astrid as she stepped over a felled tree. Master Secura walked right beside her. Astrid could hear the quiet footsteps of the six clone troopers walking behind them as their armored boots sunk into the soft ground. 

Astrid eyed the surrounding jungle vegetation around them, her senses on high alert for enemies. Astrid touched a comforting hand to her lightsaber at her side. 

"It would probably be best if we kept our lightsabers ignited," Master Secura told her quietly as they slunk through the thick vegetation. "We would be more prepared for an attack." 

Astrid nodded in agreement as she unclipped her lightsaber and ignited it with a swift press of her thumb on the metal hilt. Her eyes cautiously swept the tree branches and enormous mushrooms above her. Her palms began to sweat around her lightsaber's warm hilt as nervousness blossomed inside her. She was supposed to be the predator, seeking out enemy droids, but somehow she felt like the prey. 

A sheep surrounded by wolves. 

Astrid heard the sound of a comlink behind her from one of the clone troopers-- most likely Captain Flynn--, but she took no notice of it. If he was receiving important news, then she trusted he would inform her. 

There wasn't another clone Astrid trusted more with her life. 

Suddenly, the sounds of wildlife around them grew abruptly silent, and Astrid and Master Secura halted. Astrid's muscles tensed as her eyes swept the vegetation, preparing for an ambush, and her lightsaber hummed in the air as she angled it in front of her. 

Master Secura raised her hand as she murmured in warning, "Steady," to Astrid and the six clones behind them. 

Astrid sensed Captain Flynn moving up towards them, and Astrid asked, "Flynn, do you think the wildlife went silent because of nearby droids?" 

"No," Flynn answered in an icy, grim voice, and Astrid startled at the unexpected hard tone of his voice. 

Abruptly, Astrid felt an unsettling ripple through the Force, and she had the uncanny sense that danger lurked close-- too close-- behind her. Astrid whirled around in time to see Flynn lifting his blaster gun straight at Master Secura. With a shout of alarm, Astrid threw herself at her master, tackling them both to the wet ground a split second before the blaster went off. 

A few feet away, splatters of soft dirt sprayed everywhere as the missed blaster fire struck the ground. 

The next instant, Astrid rolled off of Master Secura as she raised her lightsaber in front of her to block the next inevitable round of blaster fire. As she turned her attention to Flynn, she realized all six of the clones had turned their guns to her and Master Secura. 

The clones opened fire. 

Astrid whirled her lightsaber through the air in a desperate attempt to block all of their blaster fire. Confusion at the clones' betrayal thrummed through her as her heart raced with adrenaline. From beside her, Master Secura rose to her feet and lifted her lightsaber to help defend against the attack. Master Secura leapt forward and managed to slice down one of the clones before she was forced to retreat back beside Astrid.