Chapter 3

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Jesus Christ, I don't like that sound, but at least I'm awake on time. I peek an eye open and look at the clock. Holy shit! I'm gonna be late for my class.

I think, I accidentally set the alarm wrong yesterday, because I was so tired. I quickly jump out of bed and pull blue jeans, an oversized black sweatshirt, bra, and black low-top converse on. And with that, I flew out of the door and towards my first classroom. I made it just in time for class.

*****

I'm now headed towards my last class of the day. Great, that's the one with the grumpy guy, also called Dimitri. I just need to find a spot away from him this time, and then everything's gonna be alright.

I was again one of the first people in the classroom, and I picked the same seat as last time. Dimitri wouldn't choose the seat next to me anyways, after yesterday.

*****

The day was now over, finally. Dimitri didn't even show up to class. It was nice to be left in peace and to focus on my studies. I've had a nice day overall. I haven't really made any new friends besides Emily, but I don't really mind. I like to be by myself, sometimes it can, of course, be lonely, but I'm used to it by now.

I make my way toward the coffee shop, I got coffee from yesterday. I haven't gotten my daily dose, because of my rush this morning, so I really need it.

I take a place in the line and find my cash, so I'm ready. Not long after I'm on my way to my dorm. The smoking hot coffee in my hand. I'm hoping to catch Emily, but I know she's pretty busy. She majoring in Philosophy, so there's a lot more work to do then what I have to do. I'm majoring in English. I don't know, what I want to do, for the rest of my life, so I just went with English.

As I'm about to set the keys into the door, a booming voice stops me.

"Hello," he says. That Russian accent is apparently everywhere now.

I turn around to look at him and answer, "Hi."

Then there's silence.

"Can I help you with something, or?" I ask him, trying to be nice since last night.

"I need the notes from class this afternoon."

"Hold up. I'm not giving you notes, just because you didn't show up to class today, sorry. And how did you even know, that this was my room?" I say. I don't owe him anything.

"You want to know why I did not show up today? Because I could not open my eyes, until this very moment. And why could I not open my eyes, you may ask? Because some random girl, I do not even know, almost blinded me yesterday, with a fuckin' pepper-spray. I even had to see a fuckin' nurse!"

Okay, so maybe I did owe him something.

And, by the way, that's the longest I've ever heard him speak.

I sigh as an answer and open my door. I walk over to my desk and go through my notes from today. Ah, here it is. I turn around about to hand it to him, but he's already in the room. Dimitri is looking around and touching my stuff. Did this boy not learn any manners as a kid? I clear my throat and he finally looks up. Our eyes lock. We're staring at each other. It looks like he's trying to find something in my eyes, and I feel like it's working. But for me, I can't see anything in his eyes. It's like they've lost their light. I suddenly feel sad. What kind of person doesn't have any light in their eyes? Is it because of the scar thingy?

I break my own thoughts and make my way towards him. When I hand him the notes, he nod his head and makes his way toward the door. But I stop him, "I'm gonna need those back. And I am sorry for yesterday. I know I've said that a lot now, but I mean it."

"These papers will be in your hands, latest tomorrow. And we are even now, so do not worry about it," he says. His tone is ice cold, but at least he said not to worry about it. What a relief.

I sit down at my desk and study for the rest of the night.